Views
Helpful
Replies

Port Utilization -- Cat OS

antonyjaison
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I would like to know the command for checking the BW utilization of a DS3 link which is terminating on a Catalyst switch port. For this link we have configured the IP and others in MSFC through a VLAN inteface. But sh int vlan "#" is not giving the accurate utilization. I tried sh port , sh counters, sh mac etc.. all these commands in Cat. But still i am not getting the accurate utilization output like " last 5 min input rate #### " on a native OS.

Jaison

8 Replies 8

jackyoung
Level 6
Level 6

Yes, you cannot get the real utilization via the router/switch interface. You can deploy an external monitoring system, e.g. MRTG/PRTG to monitor the utilization. However, we normally monitor the port at interval and according to the history to determine the rate.

Or you may connect to a Sniffer to monitor the utilization. But it is costly.

Hi Jack,

Thanks for ur reply. I may get the utilization graph if i connect the monitoring system. But i wanted to know only that time utilization only. ie.. if i give "sh int f0/0" on Cisco IOS i can see the utilization at below portion..

"5 minute input rate 0 bits/sec, 0 packets/sec

5 minute output rate 0 bits/sec, 0 packets/sec"

The same way i wants to see the utization on CatOS. I tried with "sh top " command and its giving a combined output of tx and rx . I wants to monitor individualy(tx or rx) . Any idea how it can be possible in CatOS.

Jaison

You're welcome. I believe there is no way to monitor the snapshot throughput of the switch port unless you an external device to monitor it (e.g. Sniffer).

Or cannot check the throughput from remote end ?

Hi Jack,

I cannot check from remote end also since my both (A & B)ends are terminating on ethernet(running CatOS on both side).

Jaison

hi Jack,

Finally we enabled the ports in NMS tool and monitoring through that.

Thanks,

Jaison

Thanks for your update. DO you mean your NMS tool can monitor the link at real time ? Or poll it regulatorly ?

It will poll the data and generate the graph.

So it is not real-time. However, it tells you the trend and history of the usage.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card