dial-peer config help

Unanswered Question

Hi All,

After doing some reading around the group I came up with a snip of a config that i needed some questions answered about. Basically I have a pbx at each site and I would like to forward voice across the lan for four digit dialing instead of LD. Say I have the following on my host mpls router:

dial-peer voice 4000 voip

description - 4000 dial peer

destination-pattern 4...

session target ipv4:10.0.0.54

And the Following on my remote mpls router:

dial-peer voice 3000 voip

description - 3000 dial peer

destination-pattern 3...

session target ipv4:10.0.0.53

What I am confused about is when the digits are forwarded to the remote router and vice versa, how does the accepting routing know to forward this to the pbx on its lan? what command is used to tell the router where to send such? also, is this where you would add priority to voice packets?

Where does SIP or H.323 fit into all of this?

TIA,

R

Overall Rating: 4 (1 ratings)
thisisshanky Mon, 08/07/2006 - 13:32
User Badges:
  • Purple, 4500 points or more

Cisco routers have voip dialpeers and pots dial-peers. POTS dial-peers are used to send calls to a POTS leg (like a FXO, FXS, E&M, CAS, PRI, R2 type interface to the telco or PBX. How is your PBX tied to this router ? If using FXO or T1/E1, there should be a port associated with this on the router. Your configs should look like,

dial-peer voice 4000 voip

description - 4000 dial peer

incoming called-number 3...

destination-pattern 4...

session target ipv4:10.0.0.54

dial-peer voice 4001 pots

destination-pattern 3...

port 1/0/0

dial-peer voice 3000 voip

description - 3000 dial peer

destination-pattern 3...

incoming called-number 4...

session target ipv4:10.0.0.53

dial-peer voice 3001 pots

destination-pattern 3...

port 1/0/1

HTH

Sankar

PS:please remember to rate posts!

Thanks for your reply. The pbx at my host site has an IP card, what are my options for connecting to the router? What about the remote sites that do not have IP cards, or does this matter? So you are saying that i will need a WAN interface to connect to the pbx from the router correct? what are my limitations?

Let me get this straight. The voip peer is to send the data across the wan, and the pots peer is to send the data to the pbx over the port that i have specified and this is know it knows where to send it, correct?

TIA,

R

Actions

This Discussion