cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

wic-1enet

ishwar
Level 1
Level 1

I have cisco 1841 routers.can I add WIC-1ENET in this router?..I need three ethernet WAN Interface ..If 1841 does not support it.which series of router will be appropriate for me?Please suggest me.

15 Replies 15

ashishpanda
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Ishwar,

WIC-1ENET is not supported on 1841. The replacement is HWIC-4ESW( 4-port single-wide 10/100 BaseT Ethernet switch HWIC)

Refer the datasheet below for details

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps5853/products_data_sheet0900aecd8016a59b.html

Ashish

Thanks Ashis..it means can I use three different network in 1841 router using HWIC-4ESW like

fasethernet0/0---10.10.10.1/24

fastethernet0/1---10.10.20.1/24

fastethernet0/2---10.10.30.1/24

can I do like that?

r

Hi Ishwar

It is not possible to assign an ip address to each port of the ESW.

Instead you can create vlan interfaces (SVI) and assign ip address to them.

Once you are done with that you can make the ethernet ports be a member of those vlans.

or else you can try the option mentioned in my previous mail..

regds

spremkumar
Level 9
Level 9

Hi

If you require only normal ethernet ports with all kinda functionalities then you can look out for Cisco 1760 Series router which accommodates 3 Wic-1ENET cards and on built in ethernet port in it.

Normally the ESW(EtherSwitchModule) ports acts as your normal switch port in which you wont be able to assign ip adress and other policies.But inturn you can create SVI(VLANs) with ip assigned and brining in the Switch ports as members to the respective vlans.

regds

Thanks...

But I thinks 1700 series routers are in end of sale state..if so what is the replacement of 1760?

Hi

The new ISR series routers dont support WIC-1ENET cards since it supports ESW modules.

Cisco 1800 series routers are mainly considered as the replacements for Cisco 1700 series routers.

regds

Hi

Then can cisco 2800 series fulfill my requirement? Please suggest me.

Hi

Though WIC cards are supported by 1800 Series routers but in their data sheets there are no specific support for WIC - 1 ENET.

Its the ESW modules which is widely supported in the new ISR models.

Though 2800 series comes up with 2 built in ports it may not fulfill the requirement of 3 Ethernet ports.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps5854/products_data_sheet0900aecd8016fa68.html

regds

If you want 3 normal ethernet ports you will have to go all the way to a 3825.

It is very strange that they don't support a nm-1fe in a 2800 even though they do support other modules that are much higher speed and even have multiple switch ports.

The 2800 series requiers you to use the same 4 port switch card the 1800's do to get additional ethenet ports.

You will find that there is little differnce between these logical vlan ports and real ports on the router. If you have not done logical interfaces on layer 3 switches before it may seem a little strange but they for the most part are configured exactly like the normal interfaces

Wilson Samuel
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Ishwar,

With 1841, you can't have 3 Ethernet interfaces as the model supports neither the ESW nor the WIC-1ENET hence you need to lookforward for something else.

What I guess would be the best is to go ahead with the 2800 Series with a ESW which would fill your requirements.

However please be advised that, ESW only supports the Switched Ports and need to create a VLAN and assign the IP Address to it and should be able to get the things sorted out.

Kindly rate if it helps.

Regards,

Wilson Samuel

The 1841 does in fact support the hwic-4esw. The card it does not support is the wic-4esw.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps5853/products_data_sheet0900aecd8016a59b.html

Hi Tdrais,

Thanks a lot for such a valueable information.

Sorry, I just missed it.

So, Ishwar, I'm sure now your issue has been sorted out. Congrats!

Regards,

Wilson Samuel

Thanks a lot for your valuable suggestion..I am still little bit confusion that adding wic-4esw or hwic-4esw means it will function as L3 switch?...can I do OSPF in this Vlan address? Please make me clear.

Hi Ishwar,

Yes it shall function like a L-3 Switch however to the exception that you CAN NOT make a port an L-3 port like you can do in a L-3 Switch.

Ofcourse you can substitute that by creating VLANs and assigning the IP Address on the SVI and assigning it to a SwitchPort.

Regarding OSPF, I guess if your Router's IOS has the feature for it, you can run that as well.

Finally, We all shall appreciate you if you rate this post.

Kind Regards,

Wilson Samuel

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card