cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Phones not powering up after reload of power switch

schadmin
Level 1
Level 1

We have some WS-C3524-PWR-XL-EN switches here that we reload every week. After the reload some of the phones don't receive any power. It is random on which phones won't get power. All I have to do is walk to the desk and unplug/replug their phones back in and the phones will come up. Any idea why this is happening?

3 Replies 3

gpulos
Level 8
Level 8

why do you reload switches every week? this seems unusual and if it is to remedy a problem, perhaps looking into fixing that problem would be more beneficial in the long run.

one of the biggest reasons a phone does not power up, aside from the switch/port having a physical issue, is that the Power Allocation Algorithm has not successfully completed its task. this could be for a few reasons from FLP not looping back to the phone successfully to no power available in the switch to allocate.

see this link for more info on the Power Allocation process:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/products/hw/phones/ps379/products_tech_note09186a00801189b5.shtml

Is there a way to figure out how much power the switch has to allocate?

I have ran into similar issue and the fix was to upgrade the IOS on the switch. I would try the latest version of IOS.

Danny

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: