Cat4006 - etherchannel/vlans

Answered Question

Trying to implement an EMC NAS on our system. Have a Cat 4006 as my core switch, which has never been configured for vlans as they have not been needed in our environment. Switch was basically plug/play aside from assining the management IP and passwords.

Installer for the EMC equipment is asking to have 8 ports placed into two etherchannels for the connections of the data movers.

I've got documentation, but cannot seem to get this to work. I'd like to set ports 2/18 - 2/21 to the first ether channel and 2/22 - 2/25 into the second. I've tried setting the port channel, but when I show port channel it returns "no ports channelling"

Also, as for creating a VLAN (is this necessary to do what we are trying to do) requires setting the VTP domain (which has never been set and I not familiar with what this should be set to).

I'm a bit green and out of my league here, but the installer is insisting on this setup but is also not qualified to do it.

Correct Answer by Edison Ortiz about 11 years 3 days ago

First you have to bundle the ports with the following commands:

set port channel 2/18-2/21

set port channel 2/22-2/25

They will automatically get an Admin-Group ID.

After this is done, type the following commands:

set port channel 2/18-2/21 mode on

set port channel 2/22-2/25 mode on

You don't need a VTP domain name in order to create VLANs, however the switch must be set to server or transparent. You can't create VLANs on VTP clients.

To answer your questions, you don't need to create additional VLANs for etherchanneling.

Please rate helpful posts.

Thanks

Overall Rating: 5 (1 ratings)
Correct Answer
Edison Ortiz Wed, 08/16/2006 - 19:15
User Badges:
  • Super Bronze, 10000 points or more
  • Hall of Fame,

Founding Member

First you have to bundle the ports with the following commands:

set port channel 2/18-2/21

set port channel 2/22-2/25

They will automatically get an Admin-Group ID.

After this is done, type the following commands:

set port channel 2/18-2/21 mode on

set port channel 2/22-2/25 mode on

You don't need a VTP domain name in order to create VLANs, however the switch must be set to server or transparent. You can't create VLANs on VTP clients.

To answer your questions, you don't need to create additional VLANs for etherchanneling.

Please rate helpful posts.

Thanks

Actions

This Discussion