cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unity connection - DiRT backup error

joel.paulraj
Level 1
Level 1

Hi I'm changing my unity connection to another hardware box, I have the same software versions installed.

When I try to backup my existing server, it does not backup "UnityDirDBBackUp.sql" & "UnityMbxDB1BackUp.sql".

This is the Backup log.

8/17/2006 10:30:47 PM: Backing up UnityDirDB SQL table to: E:\New Folder\Streams\UnityMbxDB1\2006.07.27-14.11.02.796\

8/17/2006 10:30:47 PM: (error) in cmbBackup routine:[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]Cannot open backup device 'E:\New Folder\Streams\UnityMbxDB1\2006.07.27-14.11.02.796\UnityDirDBBackUp.sql'. Device error or device off-line. See the SQL Server error log for more details.

[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]BACKUP DATABASE is terminating abnormally. number= 0

8/17/2006 10:30:47 PM: Backing up UnityMbxDB1 SQL table to: E:\New Folder\Streams\UnityMbxDB1\2006.07.27-14.11.02.796\

8/17/2006 10:30:47 PM: (error) in cmbBackup routine:[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]Cannot open backup device 'E:\New Folder\Streams\UnityMbxDB1\2006.07.27-14.11.02.796\UnityMbxDB1BackUp.sql'. Device error or device off-line. See the SQL Server error log for more details.

[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]BACKUP DATABASE is terminating abnormally. number= 0

I've attached the full log file.

Can someone please help.

Joel

4 Replies 4

lindborg
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Is E a mapped drive by any chance? I'm guessing it is.

Try backing up to a local drive and then copying the backup off box - most times when I see these errors it's because the account associated with the SQL services do not have rights to update the remote folders - it's not the account you're logged in as, it's the one associated with the SQL services here.

The easiest way to do this is to use the "two hop" backup method - this is why I added that option.

Hey thanks Lindborg,

E: is a local drive, I was reading about this two hop backup and I also tried backing up to C: drive, still I get the same error.

Well, those errors are being returned from SQL on a standard backup request - those aren't DiRT errors so I'm not sure what else to suggest. I guess I would try doing a backup to a short path name just to be sure the space in the path isn't tripping you up (it shouldn't be - I just tested my connection 1.2 install and it handles this fine).

Also, I don't suppose anti virus software or CSA is in play here? Just a thought...

I upgraded the DiRT version from 2.0.6 to 2.0.7 and it worked...thanks for ur help

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: