Views
Helpful
Replies

WLC Design Questions

svanhandel
Level 1
Level 1

Looking for a "recommended" design.

Looking at a remote location that contains no Cisco switches or router. 5 AP's total. Seems kinda of pointless to setup a 4402 Controller for 5 AP's. What is the recommended REAP mode implementation (real world) for AP's? Other alternatives?

5 Replies 5

diro
Level 1
Level 1

you could by a 2006 controller that supports up to 6 ap or a cisco isr with wireless controller module

Also, you could put a Cisco ISR (router) at your remote site with a small controller module (controls up to 6 APs) in it.

Thanks... Kinda of what I figured. This design does not scale well if the remotes all use between 3 - 5 AP's at each site. If you can't run these use REAP mode... What good is it?

Another option is to use hybrid-REAP but Cisco does not recommend to use hybrid-REAP when there is more than 3 Aps on the remote site.

Note: Hybrid-REAP is a new feature of the latest release (June 2006). This feature is also only supported on the 1131AG and on the 1242AG.

alois.heilmaier
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

be careful, you don't have infrastructure at the remote site ?

You can directly connect up to 3 APs to a 2006 controller. But I don't know, if you can use 1130/1240 APs because they are LWAPP-converted APs, so they only use L3-LWAPP. I think with L3-LWAPP there must be an L3-Link between AP and controller, but I am not sure. By the way POE is an extra, controller 2006 has no POE enabled Ports.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: