cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Understanding Singal-to-Noise Ratio?

anowell
Level 1
Level 1

I have installed an Aironet 1242 in my house and I'm having a few issues. I have noticed that my signal-to-noise ratio is the same as my signal strength. The stronger my signal is my signal-to-noise ratio rises also. Not sure if it is related by I?m also taking a lot of CRC?s on my radio interface

I have done some troubleshooting and made sure my AP is on a channel that is not interfering with my neighbors Linksys/AP's.

I'm looking to figure out how I can chase down the high signal-to-noise.

Thanks in advance!

2 Replies 2

scottmac
Level 10
Level 10

How are you measuring / what device are you using to measure?

Is this according to some NIC utility, or are you using something like NetStumbler?

Signal-to-Noise is just like it sounds; how much signal, how much noise, and how do they compare.

You may have a flakey NIC or a bad antenna/cable/connector.

What kind of antennas are you using on the AP?

Let us know.

Scott

ethiel
Level 3
Level 3

Correct me if I'm mis-understanding the question here.

Signal-to-noise ratio is a formula of the signal strength minus the noise. As you get more signal or less noise, your SNR will go up. What you describe is that as your signal strength increases (approaches 0) your SNR gets closer to 100%. That is a good thing. That means that noise in your environment is not increasing as the strength increases.

With that said, can you clarify if you are experiencing any connectivity issues, or if you were just looking for information about SNR and signal values?

There is useful info about SNR here:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk722/tk720/technologies_tech_note09186a00800b2d37.shtml

-Eric

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card