cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CE 500 Problem

smstigers
Level 1
Level 1

I am trying to help a small catholic school in NC. They purchased a CE 500 24TT swith and I am having a problem connecting other (non-cisco) switches and hubs to it. Specifically, a 4 port hub in their library goes to a 6 port switch in a closet that connects to a port on the CE 500. The port that the switch in teh closet connects to is defined as a "switch" smartport. All the PCs are static IP'd and when you turn them on they lose all connectivity. I can't even ping the CE 500 or any other network device. I have tested all of the cable connections using a laptop and they are good. What is going on? Is it smartport related?

2 Replies 2

scottmac
Level 10
Level 10

It sounds like you need a crossover cable / dongle.

If you connect a laptop to the same cable and it works, then you would need a crossover cable to go to another switch-like device.

I'm not sure if that unit has Auto-MDX or not, it doesn't sound like it.

You can buy or make a crossover; for 10/100, you need to cross 1&2 --> 3&6 on the other side. If the cabling was terminated properly, that should be the green and orange pairs.

Good Luck

Scott

Hi Scott,

Thanks for the post. I have connected a laptop to the cable that runs from the CE 500 to the closet where the non-cisco switch is. That worked fine. I have plugged that cable back into the non-cisco switch, taken a patch cable and came off of one port of the non-cisco switch into my laptop and it works fine. But, as soon as I try to connect a second device to the non-cisco switch it flakes out (i.e. no internet access, no ping, etc.) I have tried to replace the switch in the closet with a hub and get the same results. I am no networking expert by any means but where would I put a crossover cable to test? Between the CE500 and the non-cisco switch? Or between the non-cisco switch and the 4 port hub in the library? Thanks for all your help.

Ray

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: