Warning message

• Cisco Support Forums is in Read Only mode while the site is being migrated.
  • Cisco Support Forums is in Read Only mode while the site is being migrated.

SPAN 2 ports on 2 2950's

Unanswered Question
Sep 15th, 2006
User Badges:

Hi,

Can someone confirm either way whether it is possible or not to configure a single SPAN destination port on one 2950 to mirror one source port on itself and one source port on a second 2950 trunked together. I really wish to do this without requiring any other gear at all, but am dubious that this is actually possible. I'd love to be proved wrong...

Cheers

Chris

Overall Rating: 1 (1 ratings)
ankbhasi Fri, 09/15/2006 - 00:24
User Badges:
  • Cisco Employee,

Hi Chris,

Let me confirm what you want is you have 2 2950 switches and you want one port on one 2950 to work as destination port and you want some other ports on same switch to be working as source port and also you want some ports on other 2950 to send their traffic to destination port which is already configured on other 2950.

If yes then it is possible via RSPAN.

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/cat2950/12120ea2/2950scg/swspan.htm#wp1336553

Regards,

Ankur

acid_kewpie Fri, 09/15/2006 - 00:53
User Badges:

That's the right requirement yes, but all experiemnts with combinations of RSPAN and SPAN have failed previosuly. on the 2950's you can't combine vlans and physical interfaces on SPAN or RSPAN, and on RSPAN you have to take the source from the vlan. This combination of limitations appear to prohibit this. if i were to ahve a third switch then i assume i could run RSPAN all the way through, sourcing on two switches and destination on the third, but this is not what my architecture compromises on this network section.

Thanks

Chris

Actions

This Discussion