Private VLANs and broadcast traffic separation

Unanswered Question
Sep 16th, 2006
User Badges:

http://www.mdh.se/netcenter/ct3690/ht-2005/forelas/Private_vlans.pdf#search=%22private%20vlan%22

((A VLAN on a network is a broadcast domain, and all of the hosts on that VLAN can communicate with the other members of the same VLAN.

PVLANs allow traffic to be segmented at the data-link layer (layer 2) of the OSI model, limiting the size of the broadcast

domain)).

Was it meant by word "traffic" in this phrase : "PVLANs allow traffic to be segmented ", broadcast traffic ? (i.e. Does that mean each PVLAN have its own broadcast domain ?)

Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
rajinikanth Sat, 09/16/2006 - 06:22
User Badges:
  • Bronze, 100 points or more

Hi,

VLANs create broadcast domains at layer2,

Usually broadcast domains are created by layer3 device but by using vlan we can create them at layer 2 device which are logical broadcast domains

Yes each VLAN Creates its own broadcast domain and to have communication between two vlans we need a layer3 device for this.

HTH

Thanks,

Raj

zillah2004 Sat, 09/16/2006 - 10:05
User Badges:

((VLANs create broadcast domains at layer2,

Usually broadcast domains are created by layer3 device but by using vlan we can create them at layer 2 device which are logical broadcast domains

Yes each VLAN Creates its own broadcast domain and to have communication between two vlans we need a layer3 device for this.

HTH

))

Thanks Raj, your explaination about VLAN, I have got no problem about VLAN.

My query was about PVLAN

Regards

Actions

This Discussion