cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Difference of Lists

mrashby
Level 1
Level 1

I jut recently got to use a route map for the first time, pretty cool. When I was researching this issue I came across prefix lists, access-lists, and route maps. I know what access-lists do but what is the difference between all three of them. They seem to do the same thing so why use one instead of the other?

2 Replies 2

gpulos
Level 8
Level 8

differences betweeen route-maps and ACLs are as follows:

(as you've stated, there are also a few similarities)

1) route maps use ACLs as matching criteria

2) ACLs perform an evaluation and provide a YES/NO answer; route maps can modify information associated with the route

(this is commonly used when redistributing routes from one routing protocol to another)

3) route maps can determine if a route is internal or has a specific tag; ACLs cannot.

please see the following link for more route-map info:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk365/technologies_tech_note09186a008047915d.shtml

prefix lists -

although there are a couple of similarities with ACLs, prefix lists differnces are as follows:

1) used to provide ip prefix filtering

2) can be configured to match an exact prefix or range of prefixes; ACLs cannot do this

3) prefixes use sequence numbers to determine which prefixes are read first and in what order. (lowest to highest sequence number); ACLs use top down reads.

please see the following link for more IP prefix list info:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6350/products_command_reference_chapter09186a0080454ced.html#wp1075035

leighharrison
Level 7
Level 7

Hi there,

Depending on what you wanted to achieve, you would use either an access-list or a prefix list to specify traffic.

For example, if you wanted to specify the ip network 192.1.0.0 with an access list you could use:-

access-list 1 permit 192.1.0.0 0.0.0.0 and with a prefix list you could use:-

ip prefix-list name permit 192.1.0.0/16

Depending on how your mind works you can use either. prefix-lists are used quite heavily in bgp configurations. Prefix lists can also get a little complex, where you can say:-

ip prefix-list name permit 192.1.0.0/16 ge 17 le 24

Which would mean anything in the 192.1.0.0/16 network with a mask greater than 17 bits, but less than 24 bits.

I personally prefer to use access-list, given the choice.

A route-map is set of conditions applied to redistribution in a routing protocol. This is the command ou use where you want to apply access-lists and/or prefix lists to routing policy.

For example:-

access-list 1 permit 192.1.0.0 0.0.255.255

ip prefix-list name permit 192.2.0.0/16

route-map example permit 10

match ip address 1

match ip address prefix name

router rip

redistribute static metric 3 route-map example

At the end of a route map is an explicit deny all - just like an access list. The access-list 1 is used to specify the network 192.1.0.0/16 and the prefix list is used to specify the network 192.2.0.0/16.

Then the route-map says to match any ip addresses that conform with the access-list or the prefix-list will be permitted. This is then applied when redistributing static routes into rip (in this example) and given a metric of 3.

In the route-map statements you can also have a choice of match-all or match-any, meaning that the route has to match all of the conditions in the route map, or any of them.

So, to summerise:-

Access-lists - used to specify traffic

Prefix-lists - used to specify traffic

Route-maps - used to set conditions for route redistribution

Hope that helps clarify,

LH

Please rate all posts

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: