Views
Helpful
Replies

automate MWI resynch of mailboxes

kdotten36
Level 3
Level 3

Unity 4.1(1.0)

Many times when one of our Exchange servers or DCs goes offline, Unity loses MWI synchronization and I have to go into UTIM to resync.

Does anyone know if there is a simple process I can run to automate this on a schedule to avoid delays? I'm thinking I can just write a script that runs it every 2 hours. This happens often enough to be a real issue. I ran a filemonitor and it looks like AvNotifierMgr.exe is running when I perform a resync, but if i run it by itself it does nothing.

Let me know if there's a way to do this, thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

The AvMsgStoreMonitorSvr service should be the one you need to restart. You can do a net stop and a net start of this service which should start the synch process (which includes MWI devices). However doing this as often as you propose indicates a much larger and more pervasive problem at play. IT shouldn't be necessary to do this, especially with recent versions of 4.x which should do a reasonable job of reattaching to mailstores when they go off and then come back on line.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

lindborg
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

In the UTIM you can set the resync to happen every night - it's on the Properties portion of the switch setup on the "integration" tab down at the bottom. If you check the "resyncronize at" and give it a time it will force a full MWI resync at that time ever 24 hours.

Thanks for the response, I already have that setup in the morning and it clears up sync issues resulting from system backups overnight, but I'm looking for a way to do it multiple times throughout the day for when we have unexpected hiccups on the Exchange/DC/GC sides.

I'm just not sure exactly what process performs that resynchronize function or else I could just write a script that runs it on a timed schedule.

The AvMsgStoreMonitorSvr service should be the one you need to restart. You can do a net stop and a net start of this service which should start the synch process (which includes MWI devices). However doing this as often as you propose indicates a much larger and more pervasive problem at play. IT shouldn't be necessary to do this, especially with recent versions of 4.x which should do a reasonable job of reattaching to mailstores when they go off and then come back on line.

Thanks, that was the one. I'll test it for a little bit during production hours to see if it causes any problems before scheduling it regularly.

I have 4.1, I could always upgrade to 4.2 if there would be a difference.

Thanks again.

So Jeff.. are you implying that with recent Unity versions it is *not* generally necessary to force resync or wait for the nightly resync (if scheduled) when you have mailstore (or Exchange server/cluster) availability issues? Are recommendations in this area documented clearly somewhere?

There have been numerous improvements to the reconnect logic for message store/MAPI connections as well as DC/GC reconnect/sync issues in recent versions of Unity - the release notes cover this.

I can't say it'd make all need for any MWI resyncs go away, but it should not be necessary to for a sync every night if you were having problems with "stale" MAPI connections causing MWI synch issues or the like.