Views
Helpful
Replies

subnet mask of a loopback int.

shadowman724
Level 1
Level 1

hi,

can a loopback interface have a subnet mask other than 255.255.255.255 ?

3 Replies 3

pciaccio
Level 4
Level 4

Yes.. However it is a waste of addresses having a subnet other then /32. You can have any mask on a loopback that you want..Please rate...

I agree with Phil that you can put any valid subnet mask on a loopback interface. Whether it is a waste of addresses depends on what you are attempting to accomplish. For example I have configured routers to function as dial access servers and for this I need a pool of addresses. I wish for my routing protocol to advertise the pool of addresses as a subnet rather than as individual /32s. So I configured the address of the subnet with appropriate subnet mask on a loopback interface and have the routing protocol advertise that. It is useful and not a waste.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

gpulos
Level 8
Level 8

i agree with rburts here.

using vlsm or classful subnet masks, other than all \32, allows you the ability to perform dynamic routing functions for the 'group' of loopbacks vs. static routing for each of them.

in some cases, the routing of loopbacks may be required and entering in many individual \32 routes may not be optimal or easily accomplished.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: