cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

MAR box locks up and dies

randytoni
Level 1
Level 1

twice in the last week - our MARS box (100-E) stopped dead in the small hours of the night. First time the drive lights were on solid for 2 of the disks (power / green and activity / orange lit up and solid). This time same thing - but 3 of the disk lights showed solid green and orange. No access to gui, cli, console, etc. Dead until reboot.

this looks like a h/w issue to me - this is a relatively brand new unit. Anyone else have similar problems?

12 Replies 12

ethiel
Level 3
Level 3

A customer of mine had a similar experience. 1 hard drive was DOA, and it locked up at least every few days. TAC RMAed it and I believe it is better now.

thanks for the reply - I'm sure this is a h/w issue, but when I do a "raidstatus" command at the CLI it shows everything OK (physical ports / devices, logical / subunits, etc.)

the status lights all look ok too (after the reboot)

I think it's haunted...

Understood. I think the dead disk was unrelated to the lockups, since replacing the disk did not resolve the lockups. That's why I suspect you are facing an RMA.

thanks again - sorry if I misunderstood your original post

it's almost friday... :-)

david.daverso
Level 4
Level 4

Yep, Same thing happened to me. No Web, SSH, or console access. I'm about ready to open a TAC case on the issue

mikeerne2006
Level 1
Level 1

Just woundering if you checked your log file? Do you get any error messages that say...Thread 1026:PN-0102:SQL error: ORA-12541: TNS:no listener

Using the pnlog on the CLI

yes - found that (the hard way - that after the gui access and other processes died)- then found the related field notice (a bit late) and opened a TAC - Cisco installed the repsective patch and we were up and running again

in response to another TAC (related to the ongoing lockups) Cisco asked us to install the just-released upgrade. Since then the box has behaved itself (about a month so far)

I'm also also interested in checking into the notice as posted by Chris Stokes yeseterday too (apparent BIOS problem?) Definitely need to check that on the next reboot.

thanks for the response

-randy

chris_stokes
Level 1
Level 1

Sounds like it may be related to the following field notice.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6241/products_field_notice09186a00807116b4.shtml

will check that on next reboot

I subscribe to get notices for MARS - don't recall seeing this one (or any) lately. Something else to sanity check...

thanks for the info

-randy

What version are you running?

I had issues with no web/cli/console, would rebooot and be ok for another day or so.

Upgraded to 4.2.1 and everything is ok.

now running 4.2.2 (2303) and since that install we've had no lockups or other issues

knock on wood

-randy

t-heeter,

I'm running 4.2.1 and am having problems with web/cli/console. It must be something else.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: