Warning message

• Cisco Support Forums is in Read Only mode while the site is being migrated.
  • Cisco Support Forums is in Read Only mode while the site is being migrated.

CER design

Unanswered Question
Sep 29th, 2006
User Badges:

All,

I have a scenario where Cisco Emergency Responder is being implemented as a single server - Publisher only. A subscriber server is not going to be added (at least not in the near future). My questions are:

1. If CallManager cannot communicate with CER for whatever reason, what will happen with calls to 911? Is there a way to configure the system so that it automatically routes calls using a standard 911 or 9.911 route pattern out a chosen gateway?

and

2. What is the process for adding a subscriber server if it is added much later? Can I simply build the server install the application, and expect the database files to synch? I know it's not that easy with CallManager so I don't expect CER to be any different. If there's documentation on this, can you please point me in the right direction?

Thanks much.

Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
fred.s.mollenkopf Fri, 09/29/2006 - 06:17
User Badges:
  • Gold, 750 points or more

Bao-Tram,

1. You use a CTI route point to route to CER. On the CTI you can set the CFWD settings to a 911 pattern with an external dial-out CSS. This is usually set on the CTI Forward on Failure but could be set on Busy & NA for maximum coverage. From there at the matching route pattern you can select a Route List that will route out your choosen gateway. With that being said, if your CER is down, then your CFWD failure setting will take effect and route the call to the 911 route pattern instead.

2. I believe during the intial CER install it accounts for a subscriber installation. I will doublecheck the install docs and post back.

Please rate any helpful posts

Thanks

Fred

tbramwe Fri, 09/29/2006 - 07:24
User Badges:
  • Silver, 250 points or more

Bao-Tram:

To add to Fred's excellent answers, be sure to communicate your 911 primary and backup call routing to your local PSAP. When configuring your PS-ALI in the database with E911 location reporting keep in mind that the PSAP will expect this type of information (including ELINS) from your branch locations when calls are made. It is good practice to have them in the loop in case different information (different DNs & building address only vs. address, floor, and compass directional) is received - if CER goes down or in the event of SRST.

If you have hazardous materials on site the PSAP should be notified of this at the time of PS-ALI modification. They input this into the database with your address/DNs to alert responding personnel and dispatch the proper resources for potential emergencies when the screen pop appears. They can tie this information to all DNs (e.g. SRST gateways) reporting the address.

Hope you find this useful.

Tom

vivian.le Fri, 09/29/2006 - 11:12
User Badges:

Thanks Fred and Tom for your advice. I will keep it all in mind.

I also found a small footnote under configuring the CTI route point for busy/no answer/fof in the documentation that says:

Destination: One of:

? Route pattern for default ERL.

? Onsite security number.

"1. Configuring call-forwarding numbers for the standby server ensures that calls are either routed to the PSAP servicing the

default ERL, or onsite security, if the standby server cannot handle the call. If you do not install a standby server, use these

settings for the primary server."

fred.s.mollenkopf Mon, 10/02/2006 - 10:05
User Badges:
  • Gold, 750 points or more

To explain this further, here is the options for forwarding the CER RP on failure.

1. Default PSAP. This is based on what you want to be the default 911 location if CER is down. This would be the automated way to do this. Example, your CER is down so you forward this out the Gateway at your main HQ.

2. Onsite security number. Some companies maintain a sercuity or information office that is always available. This would be a good option if you wanted 911 services still to respond to the correct location. User would call 911, RP would forward to security desk on failure, then the security admin could forward to 10.911 for site a and 11.911 for site b, etc.

3. Alternate RP of Standby Server. This would allow you to use the CER configuraion and fails over to the second server. The second RP would be able to use 1 or 2 as it's failure options.

Wasn't sure if this was an additional question so I decided to clarify.

Please rate any helpful posts

Thanks

Fred

Actions

This Discussion