cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to fix {Slips, Errored Seconds, Severely Errored Seconds, Line Code Vio

cachaves
Level 1
Level 1

How to fix {Slips, Errored Seconds, Severely Errored Seconds, Line Code Violations & Path Code Violations} for E1/T1 IMA bundles.

I've been reading quite some documentation on this topic but such mainly refers to either "checking the clocking on the line", making sure the correct "1 density" is maintained and/or coding is properly used. The following are my inquiries:

-a) I noticed a few options in the interface/controller configuration yet failed to find a document that proposes guidelines for tuning the router in the event that the TELCO tests the circuit clean (ie: using a Bert or testset); can anyone point me to it if such exists?

-b) What is the best set of ?show? or ?debug? commands that can be used to identify the true source of such errors?

-c) I have found that the Output Interpreter does not work well for ATM interface/controller outputs; can you point me to any documentation that may aid decoding it?

-c) Is the Bert Test feature within the IOS a good option to test an unframed circuit; is it also effective for testing a framed circuit?

-d) There are some differences in how to clear the controller counters in ATM interfaces. Has anyone found a way to do so for a PA-IMA-T1 without having to restart the router?

Thanks in advance for all who assist; I?m frustrated as am kind of a WAN rookie as well as not able to find the answers that am looking for (no success with docos found)

1 Reply 1

lgijssel
Level 9
Level 9

All relevant parameters for cisco's IO modules like sensitivity and signal to noise ratio are more than adequate to comply with standards. I have never experienced a case where the cisco equipment was not able to work with the line as provided by the telco, except the obvious case of errors or mistakes on the telco side.

If the telco tests the circuit OK you are likely to have a layer1/2 problem. There is little debugging for that but some hands-on might help much better. A very likely cause for this issues is the electrical grounding.

Make sure that your equipment and the telco's are using the same "clean" ground. This is in the docs but but is still disregarded very often. Also the overobvious checking and replacing of a cable can deliver astonishing results sometimes.

With the G703 modules I have found that they are sometimes defective in a way that you will start to suspect the line when looking at the counters. After doing that for some time, one comes to the point where replacing the module is a logical step in the trouble shooting process. If that solves the problem it is clear that the error was not with the telco. My point with this (fairly long) explanation is that checking some counters in the IOS is not always adequate for locating problems (of whatever kind). This is especially true for interface issues.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Leo

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card