cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

doubt abt the EMI and SMI images on 3560 switches

sebastan_bach
Level 4
Level 4

hi all i have a silly doubt. if i buy a 3560 with the SMI image loaded in it. and then i install a EMI image in it then will it support the EMI images. i mean my main doubt is is it just abt the images or do we need a license on the switch for running a EMI image in it.

regards

sebastan

3 Replies 3

gpulos
Level 8
Level 8

in short, YES, you can load an EMI on your 3560 as it's currently configured.

(no license key or such to activate is required)

if you have an SMI switch that can support EMI image, as in most cases, then you can upgrade to the EMI image with the EMI software downloaded from cisco.com.

technically, you are required to have purchased an EMI license to be legal to use the image.

(although you can load an EMI image at anytime)

the license is NOT installed anywhere, just a piece of paper that confirms you paid for the software.

if you need further information on licensing please contact cisco licensing at http://cisco.com/go/license (requires CCO login) or call 800.553.2447 and ask for 'licensing'.

Aaron Harrison
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Yes - the hardware is exactly the same... so you can upgrade to the EMI version provided you buy a license.

Regards

Aaron

Please rate helpful posts...

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

hi aaron thanks for ur reply. u mean if i have buy the switch with a SMI image in it then if i download the EMI image and load in it will it support the advance routing features in it or do i need a seperate license for the EMI image . can u pls tell me abt the same. thanks once again.

regards

sebastan

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: