Phones pull IP from Data DHCP

Answered Question
Oct 2nd, 2006
User Badges:

Hello all -

I'm having a problem that seems to be getting worse. I have 350 or so 7910/40/60 phones running on CCM 3.2 (1 pub, 1 sub, 1 unity) in a small office environment. When phones are restarted for whatever reason (switch matintenence, etc), some of the phones register with the DHCP server on the data VLAN vs. the Voice DHCP scope located on publisher. This prevents the phone from contacting the correct TFTP server and registering with the call managers.

I have seperate voice and data VLAN's configured and a DHCP server on each for IP's. No helper addresses are configured on the voice network, so I can't see why the phones are jumping over the the data vlan and dhcp server.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Jad

Correct Answer by Patrick Cloutier about 10 years 10 months ago

I had the same issue as well. To resolve it, I had to put the switchport access vlan on the phone vlan, let the phone boot once and upgrade its firmware. I was then able to put the access vlan back to the data vlan.

Let me know if this works for you.

Correct Answer by jasonhauck about 10 years 10 months ago

We had the same issue, it was a problem with the firmware load for the phone. Either put option 150 on the data VLAN or upgrade the phone load. Hope it helps (assuming it's the same issue).

Overall Rating: 4 (2 ratings)
Aaron Harrison Mon, 10/02/2006 - 06:56
User Badges:
  • Super Bronze, 10000 points or more
  • Community Spotlight Award,

Member's Choice, May 2015

What kind of switches are you running?

Can you post the config of a switch that exhibits this problem?

Thanks

Aaron

jelzein Mon, 10/02/2006 - 08:38
User Badges:

Aaron - thanks for the quick response. Unfortunately i can't post the full config due to our security regulations. I'm using various switch models on each floor, but the most recent problem involves a 3560:

(C3560-I9-M), Version 12.1(19)EA1d, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1).

Let me know if you're looking for something specific.

Thanks,

Jad

Correct Answer
jasonhauck Wed, 10/04/2006 - 10:10
User Badges:

We had the same issue, it was a problem with the firmware load for the phone. Either put option 150 on the data VLAN or upgrade the phone load. Hope it helps (assuming it's the same issue).

Correct Answer
Patrick Cloutier Thu, 10/05/2006 - 10:06
User Badges:

I had the same issue as well. To resolve it, I had to put the switchport access vlan on the phone vlan, let the phone boot once and upgrade its firmware. I was then able to put the access vlan back to the data vlan.

Let me know if this works for you.

jelzein Thu, 10/05/2006 - 13:03
User Badges:

Thanks guys - i updated the loads for all 7940's and 7960's to P00308000200, rebooted, and all went well.

Actions

This Discussion