Views
Helpful
Replies

Ignored interface error on management VLAN of CAT2950

ricwong
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

why "ignored" interface error constantly incrementing on the management VLAN (in this case vlan1000) of a catalyst 2950 enhanced image IOS 12.1(22)EA6.

Thanks.

2 Replies 2

ajagadee
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Richard,

Number of received packets ignored by the interface because the interface hardware ran low on internal buffers. Broadcast storms

and bursts of noise can cause the ignored count to be increased.

Also, compare the percentage of ignored packets to the number of packets received. If the percentage of ignored is very low, around 1-5%, then it is negligible and I wouldnt really worry too much.

If the percentage is very high, then I would put a sniffer and look at the packets in detail.

I hope it helps.

Regards,

Arul

Thanks for the reply Arul.

I have already check the buffer and I am not seeing any drops or low in buffer.

Within 60 seconds, my input packet increased by 502 while ignored packet increased by 35

The funny thing is this ignore error is appearing on all my 2950 access switches' management VLAN is connect together via VLAN trunk, while the 3750 acting as distribution switch where all these access switches are connecting to show no interface error of any kind on the int vlan 1000. My management VLAN averages less than 2.5mbps and even spikes don't reach 3mbps. all my access switches are between 3% to 20% CPU utilization.

Regards,

Richard

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card