cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Dial in backup

ashafer33
Level 1
Level 1

I have a remote network that I need to install modems for. The network has a few routers and I would like to plug each router to their own external modem via the aux or console port. This is only for management purposes, this is not a backup data link. I have no experience with modems. Can anyone give some advice or point to a white paper that would help me with this.

3 Replies 3

Hieu Cao
Level 4
Level 4

This link will tell you pretty much everything, I only have a few suggestions -

- use the aux line, not the con line, as con doesn't support hardware flow control on most routers and also is very liberal when it comes to security

- try 'modem autoconfigure discovery' first, it works most of the cases and it will save you from configuring chat scripts where you don't need to

- make sure you have 'modem dialin' or 'modem inout' (if you want callback) in your line configuration

- make sure you configure authentication (i.e., 'login' and 'password' or 'aaa new-model') on the aux line or else you will be refused access.

Hope this helps,

Steju

arifbhuiyan
Level 1
Level 1

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk801/tk36/technologies_tech_note09186a0080094bbc.shtml

Please follow this document word by word.

You should be ok !!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: