cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Load balancing voice vlans between two Cisco4506

jasonkwang
Level 1
Level 1

I have try load balancing different voice vlans on 2 Cisco 4506 using hSRP and it don't work. Wonder any one have try out this ! Or is it that voice does not support asymmetric routing

4 Replies 4

leonvd79
Level 4
Level 4

HSRP forwards all IP traffic. I can't help you without configuration details.

Please post your configuration.

--Leon

Here is the config

Aaron Harrison
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi

What exactly is your topology?

If you have two 4506s as a core or distribution layer, with multiple access switches attached... and are trying to set each 4506 as the HSRP DG for alternate subnets this will work to load balance the traffic, but only if your STP topology mirrors your Layer 3/HSRP setup.

Basically what this comes down to is that if 4506-A is the HSRP active member for VLAN1, it should also be the STP root for VLAN1. Likewise, if 4506-B is the active HSRP member for VLAN2, then is should be the STP root for VLAN2.

Regards

Aaron

Please rate helpful posts...

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

mahmoodmkl
Level 7
Level 7

Hi

It is simple as you configure HSRP for data vlans.

for eg:

on u r first 4506 try this

interface vlan 2

ip address 10.1.1.2 255.255.255.0

standby 1 ip 10.1.1.1

standby 1 priority 100

standby 1 preempt

and on second

interface vlan 2

ip address 10.1.1.3 255.255.255.0

standby 1 ip 10.1.1.1

standby 1 priority 150

standby 1 preempt

and one thing i would suggest is that is ur both switches are core.if they are core make sure that u configure one as root for the vlans and second as secondry root for the vlans.

Thanks

Mahmood

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card