Views
Helpful
Replies

DHCP ip address assignement problem in cisco 3550 only for windows PC's

Anand Narayana
Level 6
Level 6

Hi,

i have set up a cisco 3550 to act as dhcp server,also an OpenBSD which is also configured to act as dhcp server connected on same cisco 3550(but with different IP series).now the problem is when ever i switch off the OpenBSD, Cisco 3550 will be in a position to distribute the IP address to the windows PC's & Mac., but when the OpenBSD is ON, Cisco 3550 will distribute only to Macintosh PC's & not any , any reasons? my question is why it it distributing only to MAC & why not to windows?

Note: i have assigned static dhcp assigment in openBSD for few set of PC's & same in cisco 3550 for diff. set of few pc's. cisco 3550 conifugration for dchp is perfect & also in openBSD.

3 Replies 3

bbaley
Level 3
Level 3

Is it necesssary to run OpenBSD?

it sounds like the OpenBSD box is stopping DHCP process from working. If a server has a DHCP scope without and IP's left it will respond to DHCP messages saying that it cannot assign an address. Could this be the problem? If you can put a sniffer on a Windows PC and see if you are actually getting and responce to DHCP requests.

Anand posted essentially the same question on Oct 10 which got several responses up through Oct 16. Here is the link to that discussion:

http://forum.cisco.com/eforum/servlet/NetProf?page=netprof&forum=Network%20Infrastructure&topic=LAN%2C%20Switching%20and%20Routing&CommCmd=MB%3Fcmd%3Dpass_through%26location%3Doutline%40%5E1%40%40.1ddc6f93

I suggest that the responses to his questions be consolidated on one thread or another. Having two threads on the same question is not effective.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card