Views
Helpful
Replies

Help with redesigning switches

dan_track
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I've toying with idea of removing STP, as I was told its quite slow. I was advised to move towards a routing architecture. Could someone please explaing how this could be done without a core switch?

I've purchased a couple of switches - although I haven't received them yet. Two 3650 switches will be designated for the exterior and DMZ aresas, while two 3750's will be used for the internal network.

Thanks in advance

Dan

4 Replies 4

lgijssel
Level 9
Level 9

The following URL contains a link to a document about desiging a switched (gigabit) networks. It contains an explanation about the issues that you referring to. Hope it helps.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/netsol/ns340/ns394/ns74/ns149/networking_solutions_white_paper09186a00800a3e16.shtml

Regards,

Leo

baldy
Level 1
Level 1

This is a common misconception regarding STP by those who don't know what they are talking about. The result is often someone who believes them removing STP and finding their network collapsing around their ears, so please think long and hard before following advice like this.

STP has features such as UplinkFast Backbone Fast and Portfast which mean that on a correctly designed LAN the response time is equivalent to any routing protocol. There are good and valid reasons to switch to a routing architecture but "someone told me STP is slow" is not one of them.

Hi

Thanks for the information. Do you believe its useful if I turn to routing instead of STP, given your experience?

Is there anything you need to know from me to make this decision?

Thanks in advance

Dan

Check the document that I sent you. Given the relatively small size of your network I expect that either solution will suffice.

Regards,

Leo

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card