Views
Helpful
Replies

limit the rate of a trafic

resfat2001
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I need to limit the rate of a traffic designed by an access list.

Example: I want that the traffic ,out put the serial interface ,that have the address source 172.20.20.1 don?t exceed 64Kbps

Thks for your help

4 Replies 4

spremkumar
Level 9
Level 9

hi

We normally use rate-limit(CAR) to restrict the bandwidth on an interface.But you can achieve your requirement using access-list binded to the rate-limit(CAR) command restricting the bandwidth to 64K.

Create an Access-list permitting the required from the source address and bind it with the rate-limit command , for more info on cli do refer the below link.

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/software/ios124/124tcr/tqos_r/qos_q1ht.htm#wp1080850

regds

Hello,

Thanks for your response,

I have tested the CAR method, but I don?t understand a lot the different parameters of the command, especially what is the utility and the difference between burst-normal and burst-max, and how to choose these values.

thanks a lot

network.king
Level 4
Level 4

Hi

Additionally u can also rate-limit the traffic using a policy-map and policing the respective class-map to 64 k where the access-list having the source ip is called in the class-map.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/iosswrel/ps1829/products_feature_guide09186a00801b23f8.html

mheusinger
Level 10
Level 10

Hi,

the config achieving this would be:

ip cef

class-map match-all IP2limit

match ip address 10

policy-map limit64k

class IP2limit

shape average 64000

interface Serial0

service-policy output limit64k

access-list 10 permit host 172.20.20.1

You need to adjust interface naming. The policy would limit the host 172.20.20.1 to an average of 64000 bps through shaping.

Hope this helps! Please rate all posts.

Regards, Martin

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card