What's Passing Score for CCNA

Answered Question
Oct 17th, 2006

What is the minimum passing score for the CCNA. How are the points calculated?

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Correct Answer by g.mundell about 7 years 5 months ago

This is a question that is often asked. I'm pretty sure that Cisco state somewhere that the passing score for any exam is secret (and shouldn't be revealed by any candidate who has signed the NDA). The passing scores are also changed sometimes (usually upwards).

How are the points calculated? The following is from Cisco's Certifications Online Support:

Exam simulation questions carry greater weight than typical multiple-choice or fill-in-the-blank test questions in calculating a candidates' final exam score. At the end of the exam the overall score will be calculated and the candidate will be provided with a score report pinpointing areas of strength and weakness.

Exam scores are based on a point scaling system that is widely used in the industry. Your score can fall within a point scale of 300 to 1000 points. You are automatically awarded 300 points for beginning the test and can score up to 1000 points if you answer every question correctly on the exam. Please note that the specific number of points awarded to a given question varies on each exam.

Average Rating: 3 (2 ratings)
srue Tue, 10/17/2006 - 16:01

if i said 75 or 80% would you only study 75 or 80% of the material? nobody but cisco knows how the points are calculated.

study hard and it shouldn't matter.

gregorysco Wed, 10/18/2006 - 09:45

The purpose of my question was not to trim study time, but to get an accurate assessment of my readiness to take the exam. I am in a situation where there are job opportunities that are available to me that are on hold pending my completing the test. If you do not know, and/or you have nothing constructive to say, then I recommend you not offer unfruitful comments. We are all professionals here.

Correct Answer
g.mundell Tue, 10/17/2006 - 16:59

This is a question that is often asked. I'm pretty sure that Cisco state somewhere that the passing score for any exam is secret (and shouldn't be revealed by any candidate who has signed the NDA). The passing scores are also changed sometimes (usually upwards).

How are the points calculated? The following is from Cisco's Certifications Online Support:

Exam simulation questions carry greater weight than typical multiple-choice or fill-in-the-blank test questions in calculating a candidates' final exam score. At the end of the exam the overall score will be calculated and the candidate will be provided with a score report pinpointing areas of strength and weakness.

Exam scores are based on a point scaling system that is widely used in the industry. Your score can fall within a point scale of 300 to 1000 points. You are automatically awarded 300 points for beginning the test and can score up to 1000 points if you answer every question correctly on the exam. Please note that the specific number of points awarded to a given question varies on each exam.

gregorysco Wed, 10/18/2006 - 09:38

Thank you for your response. It was exactly what I was looking for!!!

g.mundell Thu, 10/19/2006 - 10:56

Glad to help. I suggest you also check out some of the information here on CCO - click on Certifications Online Support at the right for starters, you'll find a lot of FAQs and answers.

However, srue does have a point. I hear some people asking what the passing score is so that they know what to aim for. That doesn't make sense to me - if you know the passing score is 650 (which it isn't by the way) then would you aim for 651? I personally aim for 100%, which hopefully means I'll pass.

If you want to get an idea of your readiness (or otherwise), do some practice exams. You can find some here on CCO which are free.

Actions

Login or Register to take actions

This Discussion

Posted October 17, 2006 at 3:27 PM
Stats:
Replies:5 Avg. Rating:3
Views:1797 Votes:0
Shares:0
Tags: No tags.

Discussions Leaderboard