Views
Helpful
Replies

Outdoor wireless Bridge

p.holley
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I am looking for recommendation on a Cisco Wireless Bridge, to bridge between two buildings about 500m to 1km appart.

Can someone with this experience please recommend what wireless bridge will satisfy this need.

Product number would be helpfull, so I can find it on the Cisco site.

7 Replies 7

rikrasmussen
Level 1
Level 1

We are using the Cisco 1400 series with good results. Be sure to install lightning arrestors on the coax cables.

What antennas are you using with this. I have a line of site between the buildings 500m to 1km appart

We use the 1410 that has a built in antenna. A coupel of years ago we installed some with external panel antennas, but saw no advantage. The internal antenna eliminates one more point of failure, the coax and connector required for an external antenna.

The 1400 series is built like an army tank and is ready to mount outdoors with no additional enclosure.

We are using them in one-to-one bridge mode, and also in an access point mode serving up to five or six buildings all looking at it with their 1400 series bridge.

is the following antenna an overkill for the distance I need to cover?

Cisco Aironet 1400 Series Outdoor Wireless Bridge 28-dBi Dish Antenna

Our experience says you should not need that much antenna. We have one hop that is about 5 km and works great with built in antenna. All our other hops are shorter and work well also.

I'm curious as yo what received signal strengths your the bridges reporting from their peers?

We have a multipoint 1400 installation in place and are getting between -78 and -80 dBm from our peers and are having connectivity problems.

Thanks

Her are some examples from our installations:

Fire Admin -70dbm

Mist Lake -83dbm

Fleet -55dbm

North Plant -73dbm

Solid Waste -55dbm

These were read today, all locations working well.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: