cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VLAN support over Catalyst 4506

dwatson78
Level 1
Level 1

What is the OS in the 4506s? Any ideas if they support VLANs?

Thanks

Duncan

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

yes 7.6 is catos . 7.6 isn't that old , think the latest in that train is like 7.6.17 .

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Anand Narayana
Level 6
Level 6

Hi Duncan,

you can find all the details of 4500 series switches in http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps4324/products_data_sheets_list.html

mainesy
Level 1
Level 1

It depends on what Supervisor Engine you have installed. In the 4506 model, I believe you can only install Sup IV, V and II-Plus engines so it should be running Cisco IOS. Vlans are supported regardless of IOS (Catalyst or Native Cisco IOS). All Sup's support Basic L3 services so you can do inter-vlan routing. The Sup II-Plus I believe only does basic L3 services so it's either RIP or static routes.

Josh

Thanks guys.

For future reference, the software version is showing up in a 'show ver' as 'WS-C4506 Software, Version NmpSW: 7.6(6)'

Is this CatOS? I'm used to router IOS so am a little lost with the meaning here. What is 7.6 referring to and is it a recent version of this software?

Cheers,

Duncan

yes 7.6 is catos . 7.6 isn't that old , think the latest in that train is like 7.6.17 .

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

All cisco switchs support vlans . Are you talking intervlan routing ???

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: