cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Load Balancing with Wireless

edusilveira
Level 1
Level 1

It's possible? For example, I Need to define 15 clients for AP, so, the client number sixteen , he try associate with next Ap? I have how make this?

7 Replies 7

ethiel
Level 3
Level 3

If you are using LWAPP APs, the controller has an option in global settings for aggressive load-balancing. This could potentially meet your needs, as long as you are not doing VoIP. It basically will reject a client association to steer it to a different AP to distribute the load.

-Eric

Please remember to rate all helpful posts.

Without controller, isn't possible?

Thanks.

In IOS there is a somewhat more crude feature under the SSID. Apply the command 'max-associations 15'.

Eric, have you tested this "aggressive load-balancing"? Does it really work in that way? Once a TAC engineer told me that most of the current clients do not understand this "aggressive load-balancing". I did not test it. Maybe it does not work as expected...

I actually don't use it since most of my deployments want to support VoIP. It is not compatible with VoIP, and when troubleshooting some Intel issues they repeatedly asked me to confirm it was disabled, so I suspect it does not work well. My answer was purely theoretical.

-Eric

edusilveira,

Good afternoon, i wanted to throw out two ideas for you. Neither are perfect solutions however with the limited info i will throw these out. =)

If the physical location of the users is spread out, you could always engineer your cell sizes to support the area where a total user count of 16 is unlikly.

If the area is rather dense, you can also setup two APs running on seperate SSIDs and seperate non overlapping channels.

zhenningx
Level 4
Level 4

What is the difference between Aggressive Load-balancing and Client Load-balancing?

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/wireless/control/c44/ccfig40/c40rrm.htm#wp1108498

Can Aggressive LB work for among multiple controllers?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card