cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SSO mode in sup720

nawas
Level 4
Level 4

what is the switchover time in SSO mode, we had an outage where MSFC from active SUP and it failed over to standby but we experienced almost 7min outage? we are running 12.2(18)SXF4 on MSFC and 8.5(2) on the SUP.

3 Replies 3

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Nawaz,

It's instantaneous since the other MSFC is running in 'standby-hot'.

7min is way too long. I assume you are currently running in RPR mode and multiple routing protocols ?

NO we are not running RPR and only running RIP ver2. We have another 6509-sup720 as a standby and I noticed when MSFC15 failed on problem switch it tried to failover on MSFC16 and at the same time on the other 6509 as well, I'm not sure if it is becase of that or some other reason. Cisco claims that SSO should not take more than 2 min (or 150 pings) but in my case it went way off. Any other suggestion?

Nawaz,

You are introducing a new variant into the problem. You had failures on other 6509s as well ?

How you determined the 7 minute outage ? Unable to connect to anything outside your network or you were unable to telnet to either MSFC ? You can attribute the 7 minute outage to routing protocols trying to converge with other failing routers.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: