cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Connect two 4506 switches to each other

cmark0eds
Level 1
Level 1

We are consolidating offices and we have bought a second catalyst 4506. We've assumed that we can simply connect the GBIC uplink ports of the Supervisor II-Plus modules to each other. We'll want to span some VLANs but not all. I'm on the hook to make this work and I've found documentation that almost describes what I think I need to do. Any advice, direction, or words of encouragement will be appreciated. Thanks!

9 Replies 9

Collin Clark
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Test first! It's straight forward so don't worry too much.

Adam Frederick
Level 3
Level 3

Hey man, this is simple, if I understand your question correctly. If you do not want certain VLANs passed on the trunk, follow this;

If you want to allow VLANs 1,3,5 but not 9 or 10, issue the following under the supervisor trunk.

"switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q"

"switchport mode trunk"

"switchport trunk allowed vlan add 1,3,5"

"switchport trunk allowed vlan remove 9,10"

Verify by issuing:

"show interface gig0/0 switchport allowed-vlan"

Please rate if this has helped

Did this help?

Thanks for the reply! We didn't receive the whole order from Cisco. I'll let you know how it goes after we get the swith up and running...

Okay... the rest of the order arrived, the switch was racked, a UPS was installed... And I got access to the switch - yesterday. This was the first time that I've administered more than one switch. I think I'm somewhere in the middle of a learning curve: I implemented VTP (one server, one client) and fiddled around until the number of VLANs matched (show vtp status). I seem to have connectivity (a workstation on the new switch works), but show vlan only lists ports in VLAN 1 (default). Am I missing something?

cfolkerts
Level 1
Level 1

I would utilize vtp pruning if you would like to span some VLANs and not others. More info on VTP Pruning is below.

HTH

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/cat2960/12225see/scg/swvtp.htm

(I finally got access to the new switch yesterday) Do I need VTP with just two switches? Is there a drawback to enabling VTP?

Thanks!

yvk.kishore
Level 1
Level 1

Hi... is HSRP running between the switches???

I have not explicitly administered (enabled or disabled) HSRP. I've searched cisco.com and will read up. Do you have any specific advice?

Thanks!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card