Connect two 4506 switches to each other

Unanswered Question
Nov 10th, 2006
User Badges:

We are consolidating offices and we have bought a second catalyst 4506. We've assumed that we can simply connect the GBIC uplink ports of the Supervisor II-Plus modules to each other. We'll want to span some VLANs but not all. I'm on the hook to make this work and I've found documentation that almost describes what I think I need to do. Any advice, direction, or words of encouragement will be appreciated. Thanks!

Overall Rating: 4 (1 ratings)
Collin Clark Fri, 11/10/2006 - 09:15
User Badges:
  • Purple, 4500 points or more

Test first! It's straight forward so don't worry too much.

Adam Frederick Fri, 11/10/2006 - 17:15
User Badges:
  • Bronze, 100 points or more

Hey man, this is simple, if I understand your question correctly. If you do not want certain VLANs passed on the trunk, follow this;

If you want to allow VLANs 1,3,5 but not 9 or 10, issue the following under the supervisor trunk.

"switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q"

"switchport mode trunk"

"switchport trunk allowed vlan add 1,3,5"

"switchport trunk allowed vlan remove 9,10"

Verify by issuing:

"show interface gig0/0 switchport allowed-vlan"

Please rate if this has helped

cmark0eds Mon, 11/13/2006 - 05:20
User Badges:

Thanks for the reply! We didn't receive the whole order from Cisco. I'll let you know how it goes after we get the swith up and running...

cmark0eds Thu, 11/30/2006 - 07:25
User Badges:

Okay... the rest of the order arrived, the switch was racked, a UPS was installed... And I got access to the switch - yesterday. This was the first time that I've administered more than one switch. I think I'm somewhere in the middle of a learning curve: I implemented VTP (one server, one client) and fiddled around until the number of VLANs matched (show vtp status). I seem to have connectivity (a workstation on the new switch works), but show vlan only lists ports in VLAN 1 (default). Am I missing something?

cmark0eds Thu, 11/30/2006 - 07:27
User Badges:

(I finally got access to the new switch yesterday) Do I need VTP with just two switches? Is there a drawback to enabling VTP?

Thanks!

cmark0eds Thu, 11/30/2006 - 07:28
User Badges:

I have not explicitly administered (enabled or disabled) HSRP. I've searched cisco.com and will read up. Do you have any specific advice?

Thanks!

Actions

This Discussion