cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Export Config file from router

granitenet
Level 1
Level 1

I have done some work to the cisco router (3600) and saved the running config to the start up. We also have backup 3600 router waiting failure of the primary should it fail. I would like to export the config file and import this to the backup router. I tried a few tools to complete this but the SNMP is read only, should I make it read/write? Or am I better off exporting it by command line? If so what is the command, I can not seem to fugure this out?

Thank you in advance.

1 Reply 1

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Any type of configuration operations via SNMP will require read-write access. The safest way to import a config from one device to another is to copy the new config to the startup-config, then reload the device. This can be done using CLI or SNMP (via the CISCO-CONFIG-COPY-MIB). For example, from the CLI:

copy tftp://x.x.x.x/export.cfg start

reload

If you were using CiscoWorks Resource Manager Essentials to do this, I would suggest using Config Editor, and pushing the configuration in merge mode.

You can certainly do this to the running-config, but certain commands may not apply correctly until the device is reloaded.

However, if both routers are currently online, then this would be a mistake. You would have to change enough of the config (e.g. hostname, IP addresses, etc.) to make it unique.