cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Aironet 1200 Initial connection

RonGorenflo
Level 1
Level 1

Help... I have a new Aironet 1200 series Access Point and am try to configure it. I am unable to get in via ethernet as it does not seem to be getting an IP from our DHCP server. I connected via the command console and I can see the init/boot information but then it goes into this:

*Mar 1 00:12:25.081: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface BVI1, changed state to up

*Mar 1 00:12:26.081: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface BVI1, chan

ged state to up

*Mar 1 00:12:29.928: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface BVI1, changed state to down

*Mar 1 00:12:30.929: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface BVI1, chan

ged state to down

I can never get to the command line to enter any commands.

???

Help

4 Replies 4

alinn
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Ron,

If the unit is a AP1200 series than I would connect via console port using Hyperterm with its default com propertiers and then manaualy configu a static IP on the BVI1 interface to gain access.

AP>en

AP#config t

AP(config)#int bvi1

AP(config-if)#ip address x.x.x.x 255.255.0.0

This will staticlty assigned the device to the x.x.x.x address.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Aaron

Hi Ron,

The AP not atall getting into the prompt keep on giving error as below

"%SNMP-5-COLDSTART: SNMP agent on host ap is undergoing a cold start

*Mar 1 00:00:40.856: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface Dot11Radio1, changed state to down

*Mar 1 00:00:40.860: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface Dot11Radio0, changed state to down

*Mar 1 00:00:40.888: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface BVI1, changed state to up

*Mar 1 00:00:51.786: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface BVI1, changed state to down

*Mar 1 00:00:52.786: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface BVI1, changed state to down

*Mar 1 00:01:11.896: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface BVI1, changed state to up

*Mar 1 00:01:12.896: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface BVI1, changed state to up"

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If you can't go into configuration mode, it's because the IOS is LWAPP. Convert the firmware to Autonomous mode and you're in business.

Here's the process to convert it to Autonomous Mode using a Wireless LAN Controller (WLC):

Requirements:

• Image file (such as c1200-k9w7-tar.122-15.JA.tar);

• AP is connected to the Wireless LAN Controller; and

• AP can ping the TFTP server where the image is located.

Procedures:

1. Find out what AP needs to be converted from LWAPP to Autonomous mode by entering the following command:

sh ap summary

2. Enter the following CLI command on the Wireless LAN Controller:

config ap tftp-downgrade

3. The AP will download the software and after a reboot, the AP will be on Autonomous mode.

If you don't have a Wireless LAN Controller (WLC), then I would recommend you go to the following link:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/wireless/ps430/products_password_recovery09186a00800949d0.shtml#ca_1310_ser

Yea, I don't think that is it. I have a 1220 that hangs at that point everytime I do a write erase - reload. I believe it is bcause you don't have your console connect configured. Anyway - if you just sit there and watch as the AP boots up - you will see where it gets an IP and what that IP is. Is then a simple matter to web in and reconfigure the console port. Let me know if this isn't the case as I really think it is.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card