Views
Helpful
Replies

Unity Extension Forwarding

michael.george
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Is there any possible way to use just Unity 4.1 and Call manager 4.1 to set up using call handlers (or by other means) a way of having a prompt that says:

'If you know the extension you are looking for please dial #'

and then the user is able to hit the '#' key and immediately type the extension they want to be transfered to and then be routed to that extension, regardless or whether that extension is a subscriber or not?

i.e. I hear the above message, I press #, then I press 1234 and then I get transfered to extension 1234 (and then it rings that phone of course).

I seem to find that using the distribution list you have to enter via first and or last name which is not what I'm looking for. I know this can be done in IPCC but I'm trying to avoid any complications if possible.

Any help is very much appreciated.

15 Replies 15

lindborg
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You can do this by mapping # off the opening greeting (or whatever handler you have setup to say "if you know the extension..." greeting) map to the "System Transfer" conversation. This conversation allows you to dial any number and as long as it passes the system transfer restriction table (which is locked down out of the box) it will do a release transfer to that number.

There's an advanced settings value (you can get to it in the Advanced Settings Tool) that allows you to turn off confirmation of the number prior to dialing in the system transfer conversation - this will get you pretty close to what you describe.

Thanks for your quick response. What you've said sounds just what I need but could you please give me more guidance on where I can set the # key map to 'System Tranfer' conversation. I am not sure where the system transfer bit is located under the call input options.

Also, with regard to the advanced settings tool, I know how to open the tool but can't see the option to turn off confirmation of the number prior to dialing.

Its probably me not providing enough details of what I have done. Basically I've just set up a simple call hander that plays the greeting. If I map the # key to a direcory handler then ok that works fine. But then it gives the whole first name last name stuff that I don't want. I've checked the other options but only see stuff like hang up or sign in, not system transfer.

The closest thing I see to 'system transfer' is the option for either 'system', 'recording' or 'blank' but of course changing to system stops my greeting playing and then just takes me to example admin mailbox. Again obviously nothing to do with hitting the hash key and typing in an extension.

Again, thanks so much for your help!!

Well, the AST setting may not be there in 4.1 - my 4.2 system here at home has it - it's called "Conversation - Confirm number used for system transfers". By default this is on and you can turn it off. This may not have gotten added in the 4.1 release, however.

The system transfer should be there. On your call handler go to the "Caller Input" page where you currently have # mapped to go to a directory handler. Click on the # key and in the "Send Caller To" drop down you should see an option for "Caller System Transfer" - select it and hit save.

Hi,

My apologies, i've just realised the version is actually 4.0 and not 4.1 so that could well be the reason both options are missing.

Do you know of anyway to find out whether I would need version 4.1 or 4.2 to do the system transfer?

Also I assume going from 4.0 to 4.1/4.2 is considered a major release and would come at a cost?

Thanks again!

Hi Michael,

Just to add a note to Jeff's excellent info. This setting looks like it was added sometime after 4.0(2), and is available in 4.0(4). Have a look;

Cisco Unity System Administration Guide (With Microsoft Exchange), Release 4.0(4)

Call Handler Settings

Call Management > Call Handlers > Caller Input Page

Caller System Transfer - Sends the call to a conversation that allows callers to transfer to a number that they specify. For example, callers may want to dial a lobby or conference room phone that is not associated with a Cisco Unity subscriber. Cisco Unity performs the transfer only when the CS_Default_System_Transfer restriction table permits it.

From this 4.0(4) doc;

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps2237/products_administration_guide_chapter09186a008022d1ca.html#wp1141238

Cisco Unity System Administration Guide (With Microsoft Exchange), Release 4.0(2)

Call Handler Settings

Call Management > Call Handlers > Caller Input Page

From this 4.0(2) doc;

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps2237/products_administration_guide_chapter09186a008014fa68.html#1141238

It is probably time to upgrade soon anyways, but I thought I would pass this along just in case.

Hope this helps!

Rob

Thanks guys, you couldn't have been more helpful! The version I am looking at is Unity 4.0 (3) and looking at the admin web page, as expected, it doesn't have the option for caller system transfer.

Is the upgrade from 4.0(3) to 4.0(4) considered a minor upgrade? If so does that mean this is free and can be downloaded myself from the cisco web site?

Thanks once again!!

Hi Michael,

Glad to help! Here is some info to help get you started. You would probably want to go to 4.0(5) at minimum, which would be considered more minor than upgrading to 4.1 or 4.2 but still worthy of considerable reading and planning. I believe this (upgrade to 4.0(5)) is free if you have SASU support.

Cisco Unity Reconfiguration and Upgrade Guide (With Microsoft Exchange)

From this doc;

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps2237/products_upgrade_guides_book09186a0080222fdf.html

Installation Guide for Cisco Unity Voice Messaging with Microsoft Exchange 2003/2000 (With Failover Configured), Release 4.0(5) and Later

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps2237/products_installation_guide_book09186a008041fd73.html

Installation Guide for Cisco Unity Voice Messaging with Microsoft Exchange 2003/2000 (Without Failover), Release 4.0(5) and Later

Downloading Software for the Upgrade

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps2237/products_upgrade_guides_chapter09186a0080205abd.html#wp1266535

Here is the link to Unity 4.0 Software;

http://www.cisco.com/cgi-bin/tablebuild.pl/unity-40

You will need a valid CCO Login.

Hope this helps!

Rob

I have the same issue on 4.0(5). I have 5 digit extensions, and have added ***** to the restriction tables, and checked the box on the call handler to allow user input. Likewise, I tried the # sign work around to the Caller System Transfer. Real extensions associated with a DID work fine. Virtual extensions do not. Any ideas?

I do not find the AST that was referenced either in this build.

I also found this link. Its not quite the same as these are not Subscriber extensions, but they are established in the CM, and the call handler is established in Unity.

http://www.cisco.com/cgi-bin/Support/Bugtool/onebug.pl?bugid=CSCdy39650

My CM is 4.1(3)sr3a

Hi Scott,

My take on the Restriction tables is that you would use ?????* (for 5-digit locals);

Allow This String - Yes

From this doc;

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps2237/products_administration_guide_chapter09186a008022cb4f.html#wp1045005

Hope this helps!

Rob

Please remember to rate helpful posts.....

Outstanding. It worked.

Now, my question is this.

Is there a way to have it work from the call handler directly, and not require the user to press #, to go to the Caller System Transfer.

What is the default restriction table for call handlers, and can they be changed to allow direct transfers?

I have added and allowed this string ?????* on all restriction tables, and the only one it works on is the CS_Default_System_Transfer table.

I think I've come up with a work around, but I would still like to know how to do it without it.

This is what I've done.

1) I have disallowed user input on the call handler.

2) I changed the greeting to ask the outside caller to enter the conference extension (Meet-Me No.) when prompted.

3) After the greeting is played, it sends the caller to Caller System Transfer.

4) Caller System Transfer then asks for the extension (Meet-Me No.), and confirms by reading back the extension number entered, and asks the user to press 1 to confirm.

5) The outside caller is connected to the Meet-Me conference.

That's it. In a nutshell.

Thanks,

Scott

In answer to your question about restriction tables - only the CS_Default_System_Transfer is the restriction table used for the system transfer conversation - it's undeletable for that reason.

You must enter the system transfer conversation before "Free dialing" a transfer string. You cannot simply start entering a transfer string from a call handler greeting.

Also, as noted, you can turn off the confirmation of the transfer number if you'd like using the Advanced Settings Tool so your step 4 there would not be needed.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: