cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA 7.2.(1) H245 inspect

dgahm
Level 8
Level 8

I am trying to run H323 videoconferencing through an ASA5520. I have configured the ip inspect for H225 and RAS, but the RTP stream from the far end tries to connect to the internal address. Originally I thought this bug was the culprit, but since then the status has been changed to unreproducible.

<i> CSCse86982

Running 7.2(1) video conferences fail through firewall. No audio or video will pass. inspect h323 enabled, but not natting embedded ip addresses </i>

Now I am suspecting that the issue is that the Polycom endpoints use H245 with a separate TCP connection, as opposed to tunneling H245 setup within H225.

Does the ASA support this mode? The ip inspect commands explicitly state H225 and RAS, and don't provide a H245 option.

5 Replies 5

plwalsh
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

According to the SNPA notes I have, the second major function of the PIXOS H.323 inspection is to dynamically allocate the negotiated H.245, RTP and RTCP connections. Hope this helps you.

Yes, it should work. I have a TAC case open on this problem.

Dave

It looks like this may have been fixed in 7.2.2.13. I just noticed Interim 7.2.2.14 is out.

Have you tried it, and if so, did it fix your problem? I'm about to embark on a h.323 project myself so it looks like it may be code upgrade time for me.

http://www.cisco.com/cgi-bin/Support/Bugtool/onebug.pl?bugid=CSCsh06232&Submit=Search

Mark

The inspect h323 command provides support for H.323 compliant applications such as Cisco CallManager and VocalTec Gatekeeper. H.323 is a suite of protocols defined by the International Telecommunication Union (ITU) for multimedia conferences over LANs. The security appliance supports H.323 through Version 4, including the H.323 v3 feature Multiple Calls on One Call Signaling Channel.

With H.323 inspection enabled, the security appliance supports multiple calls on the same call signaling channel, a feature introduced with H.323 Version 3. This feature reduces call setup time and reduces the use of ports on the security appliance.

The two major functions of H.323 inspection are as follows:

?NAT the necessary embedded IPv4 addresses in the H.225 and H.245 messages. Because H.323 messages are encoded in PER encoding format, the security appliance uses an ASN.1 decoder to decode the H.323 messages.

?Dynamically allocate the negotiated H.245 and RTP/RTCP connections.

The H.323 collection of protocols collectively may use up to two TCP connection and four to six UDP connections. FastStart uses only one TCP connection, and RAS uses a single UDP connection for registration, admissions, and status.

An H.323 client may initially establish a TCP connection to an H.323 server using TCP port 1720 to request Q.931 call setup. As part of the call setup process, the H.323 terminal supplies a port number to the client to use for an H.245 TCP connection. The H.245 connection is for call negotiation and media channel setup. In environments where H.323 gatekeeper is in use, the initial packet is transmitted using UDP.

H.323 inspection monitors the Q.931 TCP connection to determine the H.245 port number. If the H.323 terminals are not using FastStart, the security appliance dynamically allocates the H.245 connection based on the inspection of the H.225 messages.

Within each H.245 message, the H.323 endpoints exchange port numbers that are used for subsequent UDP data streams. H.323 inspection inspects the H.245 messages to identify these ports and dynamically creates connections for the media exchange. Real-Time Transport Protocol (RTP) uses the negotiated port number, while RTP Control Protocol (RTCP) uses the next higher port number.

The H.323 control channel handles H.225 and H.245 and H.323 RAS. H.323 inspection uses the following ports.

?1718?UDP port used for gatekeeper discovery

?1719?UDP port used for RAS and for gatekeeper discovery

?1720?TCP Control Port

If the ACF message from the gatekeeper goes through the security appliance, a pinhole will be opened for the H.225 connection. The H.245 signaling ports are negotiated between the endpoints in the H.225 signaling. When an H.323 gatekeeper is used, the security appliance opens an H.225 connection based on inspection of the ACF message. If | the security appliance does not see the ACF message, you might need to open an access list for the well-known H.323 port 1720 for the H.225 call signaling.

The security appliance dynamically allocates the H.245 channel after inspecting the H.225 messages and then hooks up to the H.245 channel to be fixed up as well. That means whatever H.245 messages pass through the security appliance pass through the H.245 application inspection, NATing embedded IP addresses and opening the negotiated media channels.

The H.323 ITU standard requires that a TPKT header, defining the length of the message, precede the H.225 and H.245, before being passed on to the reliable connection. Because the TPKT header does not necessarily need to be sent in the same TCP packet as the H.225/H.245 message, the security appliance must remember the TPKT length to process/decode the messages properly. The security appliance keeps a data structure for each connection and that data structure contains the TPKT length for the next expected message.

HTH,

SUSHIL

CISCO TAC

The following are some of the known issues and limitations when using H.323 application inspection:

?Static PAT may not properly translate IP addresses embedded in optional fields within H.323 messages. If you experience this kind of problem, do not use static PAT with H.323.

?H.323 application inspection is not supported with NAT between same-security-level interfaces.

?It has been observed that when a NetMeeting client registers with an H.323 gatekeeper and tries to call an H.323 gateway that is also registered with the H.323 gatekeeper, the connection is established but no voice is heard in either direction. This problem is unrelated to the security appliance.

? If you configure a network static where the network static is the same as a third-party netmask and address, then any outbound H.323 connection fails.

Inspecting Signaling Messages

For inspecting signaling messages, the inspect h323 command often needs to determine locations of the media endpoints (for example, IP phones).

This information is used to prepare access-control and NAT state for media traffic to traverse the firewall transparently without manual configuration.

In determining these locations, the inspect h323 command does not use the tunnel default gateway route. A tunnel default gateway route is a route of the form route interface 0 0 metric tunneled. This route overrides the default route for packets that egress from IPSec tunnels. Therefore, if the inspect h323 command is desired for VPN traffic, do not configure the tunnel default gateway route. Instead, us other static routing or dynamic routing.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card