cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

which protocol routing is the best in a conection with ISP ?

ankyrod2006
Level 1
Level 1

My question is: which protocol routing is the best (RIP2, BGP, IGMP, HSRP, IGRP, OSPF) to establish to connection with my ISP, or if it is very complicated to configuration of these protocols with the ISP and therefore is better to configure the routes manually.

5 Replies 5

dgahm
Level 8
Level 8

If you have one link to a single ISP, and you are using public addresses supplied by the ISP then static routing is best. If you have multiple links to the ISP then EIGRP or OSPF would make sense.

If you have your own public IP address space and AS, and are connected to the Internet via more than one ISP you will use BGP.

Please rate helpful posts.

Thank you for your help

In my case I have two connections with two different ISP, I wanted to make traffic balancing and to have redundancy with those connections.

I have public addresses supplied by the ISP

what is the best for this case?

Thank you very much.

This is almost always done with BGP. Your issue now will be are you allowed to advertise the blocks of addresses you have via both ISP's. If they are your own registered addresses you can do what you want. If they are owned by one of the ISP's then it depends on their policy.

You will also need your own AS number but that is easy to get compared to getting your own ip blocks.

Redundancy will be easy traffic balancing is tough since bgp likes to use a single BEST path. It can be configured to have more than one but this is almost never done in the internet. You have to get creative sometime like advertising one block of addresses preferred on one isp and he other preferred on the second. This only sorta works and you must have 2 full /24 blocks to even attempt it.

if I cannot establish a configuration with my ISP and neither to obtain own registered addresses, instead of using BGP could make it with OSPF, or in it finishes option with static routes.

That you believe?

Thank you.

How will you achive load balancing with ospf or static routes?

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card