cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IOS Upgrade Loop

yvanog
Level 1
Level 1

Platform: 2821 w/512MB Flash (265 MB free).

Upgrading from 20MB IOS File to 32 MB IOS file c2800nm-advipservicesk9-mz.124-6.XE2

As file completes load (goes through entire tftp transfer of 32 MB of IOS

file), it does not stop - it goes to the size of the file and then automatically restarts at zero. Both TFTP server and CLI show what appears to be a successful load happening. TFTP server follows file (to end and restart) CLI shows no blip as file starts over. This loops until manually stopped.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rob

I am glad that you were able to resolve your problem and that our suggestions helped guide your to the solution. Thanks for posting back to the forum and indicating that you had found the problem and a solution that resolved it. It makes the forum much more useful when people can read about a problem and can read about what solved that problem.

I encourage you to continue your participation in the forum.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Rob

Your post says that your 2821 has 512 MB of flash. Since the product information indicates that the max flash is 256 MB I wonder if you are looking at the amount of memory instead of the amount of flash. Perhaps if you post the output of show version it would clarify some aspects of available resources on the router. It would also be helpful if you would post the output of show flash on the router so that we could see how much flash is available and what is already in flash.

I believe that there are several possibilities of the cause of your problem. One possibility is that there is really not enough room for the image that you are transferring - though if this were the problem I would expect some error message on the router and your post indicates that there is no error message. Another possibility is that the TFTP server that you are using has a problem with files that large. Can you provide some details about the TFTP server that you are using? Would it be possible to attempt the file load using FTP rather than TFTP?

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Embarrasingly, you are correct...not sure where I got the 512MB is max size. Flash is:

mawr2#sh flash

-#- --length-- -----date/time------ path

1 21450676 Oct 9 2006 15:41:00 -06:00 c2800nm-advsecurityk9-mz.124-2.XA2.bin

2 1038 Oct 13 2006 14:53:44 -06:00 home.shtml

3 1826 Oct 13 2006 14:53:46 -06:00 sdmconfig-28xx.cfg

4 491213 Oct 9 2006 15:43:52 -06:00 128mb.sdf

5 102400 Oct 13 2006 14:53:46 -06:00 home.tar

6 1053184 Oct 13 2006 14:53:48 -06:00 common.tar

7 4753408 Oct 13 2006 14:53:52 -06:00 sdm.tar

8 839680 Oct 13 2006 14:54:00 -06:00 es.tar

490045440 bytes available (28729344 bytes used)

mawr2#

=========

tftp server I am running is the Pumpkin tftp from kin.klever.net/pumpkin/

Hi Friend,

Can you give a try using a different tftp server like solarwinds.

Ankur

At this point, I'll try anything. I'll look at Solarwinds and advise.

Thanks!

Solarwinds immediately errored out with "file too large." I had to FTP to box which was just as easy.

thanks for your suggestion and help!

And I can't spell, either! ;-(

Rick -

FTP resolved issue. Per several of the posts, it did appear as if the TFTP program was not able to handle the file size. Pumpkin gave no error; Solarwinds errored out immediately ("file too large"). I was able to get FTP going (fun! fun!) and get file uploaded. Thanks for your help & suggestions.

Rob

Rob

I am glad that you were able to resolve your problem and that our suggestions helped guide your to the solution. Thanks for posting back to the forum and indicating that you had found the problem and a solution that resolved it. It makes the forum much more useful when people can read about a problem and can read about what solved that problem.

I encourage you to continue your participation in the forum.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

bella
Level 1
Level 1

The IOS is a bit bigger then 32M and you use some tiny TFTP server like pumpkin, right? Yeah, that's a well-known problem. TFTP protocol use 512-bytes blocks and use integer to count these blocks. For those files, which are bigger then 32M, TFTP BLOCKSIZE option was defined, however Cisco didn't implement this "extension" and don't plan to do so. So, both client and server check blocks counter, counts download size, compare it with file size and happily start over, because the download size will never rich the actual file size. Many TFTP servers nowadays are aware of that problem and can handle such a situation (the TFTP server delivered with Debian does).

Conclusion: Use FTP or USB stick instead.

Bella -

Great help! Never have had to upload a file of this size so it didn't even cross my mind until you brought it up.

Thank you!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco