cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cat 6500 - Removing Module

j.bryant
Level 1
Level 1

After removing module from 6509 chassis, is there any way to clear the config for that module short of reloading switch (this is IOS, not CatOS, so clear config command doesn't work).? Thanks.

5 Replies 5

ankbhasi
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Friend,

The shortcut is run the command "sh run" and copy it on a wordpad.

Remove the configuration which you don't want and again select everything and copy it and then finally paste it on your supervisor config prompt and finally wr mem.

Try this and update if it helps.

Ankur

Thanks for the response, but I can't see how this could possibly clear out this config information.

Hi Friend,

This will because when you have the config on wordpad you can manually delete whatever you want on wordpad and when you paste it back and do wr mem it will be back into the nvram also and will display on running config also.

Thats what just give it a try and update the status.

Ankur

That would work if you erase the entire running configuration before pasting it back in. I can't risk doing that on a live switch.

Thanks.

how about doing

#show run

, copying it to notepad, delete everything that you don't want to remove in notepad and for the rest just negate the commands (put "no " in front of them), then just paste the result to switch

another option would be

#copy run tftp (or #copy start tftp). correct everything in tftp'd file then tftp it back with

#copy tftp start

#copy start run

i prefer using xmodem instead of tftp as it doesn't require the device to have a valid ip, but it is not supported in some versions of IOS

ps. don't forget about vlans.dat if you are changing vlans

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: