cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

1130/1200 in light weight mode with pre-standard power

rpsunbeam
Level 1
Level 1

One of my vendors is telling me that with pre-standard power a WLC cannot control the antenna power settings of the 1130/1200 series access points.

Does anyone know if this is true or not?

4 Replies 4

john.preves
Level 4
Level 4

The only issue I am aware of is that if you have an A radio as well as the G radio such as a 1242 AP, which I think requires 15v to run both radios, The pre-standard power only supplies 6v and will not be sufficient. You have to upgrade switches (I think ) to fix that.

Your talking about the old low power prestandard power which is 6 watts and the high power which is 15 watts. The old 3500 poe switches can't do high power, but the newer 3550 poe can.

when running poe prestandard my vendor is saying the 1130/1200 series when in lwapp mode cannot have their antenna output power controlled.. which sounds like some bunk to me.

I guess technically since it is LWAPP the AP can't be controlled as an autonomous device...but I think bunk is the correct term here and thanks for the switch info...I'm not much of a switch guy yet...

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Raoul,

I'm going to have to jump on the "bunk bandwagon" here as well :) We are running lots of 1200 series AP's on older Cisco Inline Power switches (pre-standard power) and have not had any issues like this with the WLC controlling the Antenna Power settings. Maybe they are referring to some older bug or something, but I couldn't find any.

Hope this helps!

Rob

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card