Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ISL on VSAN 1

I need to merge two MDS9000's. One switch is new the other has all ports in VSAN 1. What will happen to the ISL ports once the fabrics merge? Do the ISL's stay in VSAN 1 or are they moved out of any VSAN. I am having a brain cramp. Thanks

5 Replies 5

tblancha
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Since vsan1 should be on by default in the new switch and assuming that the ports are left at auto, then the link will come up as a TE port with just vsan 1 as up & operational. A TE port is capable of carrying multiple vsans trunked across it. And if there is only 1 common vsan, then only that 1 will be carried across even though the trunk has capability for more. If there a zoneset in both switches that is active and has competing info, then there will be a zoneset merge failure. If there is no zoneset in vsan1 in the new switch, then the old switch vsan1 zoneset will be in the new switch as well.

I understand thanks. What happens to the E port? Does it remain in VSAN 1 after the link comes up and the swtiches merge?

An E port is going to carry only one vsan and resides in that vsan. A TE which is default auto value will carry multiple vsans across it. So, if you made the port an E port, then it had to be assigned to some vsan. Since you would configure it to be in a particular vsan, it will not change....It will always be in the vsan that you configured it to be. E port is one vsan, TE link is (1-many vsans).

In this case there is only one vsan so E or TE wont matter much. However, if you want to allow a TE port how do you assign the interface before the merge? Do you suggest leaving as auto?

If you are using trunking, the VSAN membership of the port is irrelevant as far as I can tell - it is "VSAN agnostic" as it will carry any VSANs you tell it to. It still seems to belong to a VSAN, but if you look at the port via Device Manager (or Fabric Manager as well I think) you will see the VSAN membership is greyed out.

If anyone knows if VSAN membership does matter to a trunking E-port, please let me know.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: