cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Multicast v. Unicast in PIX515E for Microsoft NLB

calterio
Level 1
Level 1

Please forgive me if this is a very stupid question.

We have a PIX515E at 6.3(4) with a Windows server behind it. This server is running Citrix web interface as a portal to our farm on the internal network. Our Windows/Citrix admin is planning to add another server and set up NLB. He's asking if the PIX can support unicast or multicast.

I believe from what I've read that the PIX will support either, but I'm not clear on what I need to configure to make this work. I'm also not sure if we can support NLB if we use only static routing on the PIX. All servers and firewalls are connected to 6509 switches running EIGRP.

I'd appreciate any help or advice you can provide. Thank you!

3 Replies 3

umedryk
Level 5
Level 5

PIX do not support multicast, unless the source addresses of the multicast traffic are not in the address pool to be translated

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/iaabu/pix/pix_sw/v_62/relnotes/pixrn622.htm#wp88530

Thank you for responding. We are not using NAT. I searched the forum and found that multicast was supported in the PIX515 as of 6.2, so I do believe it's supported. And I found a post that stated static routing can be used with multicast. So, I think it's possible, possibly with some config changes. If anyone out there knows of a document with examples, please reply. Thank you.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco