cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unity Connections 1.2x email notification does not work

aramos17428
Level 1
Level 1

I'm trying to setup email notifications when a user gets a voice mail but it does not work. How many IMAP licenses does Unity connections have by default or they are optional purchase.

Armando

12 Replies 12

lindborg
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You do not need IMAP licenses for SMTP notification - IMAP is needed only to fetch email messages from a remote store for access over the phone. It seems likely your SMTP gateway is not configured properly, but I'm just guessing.

If you setup a notification based on the same rules and for the same user but have it ring a phone, is the notification triggering working? That's probably the first thing to verify.

Ok I will give it a try and let you know

Thanks

Armando

Phone notifications works fine. Where can I look for a log message that will tell me the state of the email message, or something like that. I need to check the SMTP settings but don't know where. you guys have I link I can read.

Thanks

Armando

Hi Jeff,

JL:-->//IMAP is needed only to fetch email messages from a remote store for access over the phone//

Are you saying we dont need to buy an IMAP license for email clients to recieve voicemails with wav attachments from Unity connection?

Can you please explain what this license provides?

//One IMAP Client Access user license UNITYCN1-CL-USR //

thanks

Allan

The IMAP client lets you get at messages in a remote mailstore via the phone conversation on Unity (i.e. Unity fetches email messages from an off box mail account you configure access for).

Hi Jeff,

We are going to be purchasing Unity Connection in the near future and this question regarding IMAP client access has been bugging us as well. The Connection documentation seems to indicate that this is a licensed feature.Can you please clarify this;

The Cisco PCA website provides access to the web tools that users use to manage messages and personal preferences with Cisco Unity Connection.** Note that IMAP client access to Connection voice messages is a licensed feature.**

From this connection doc;

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6509/products_installation_guide_chapter09186a008055e1cd.html

To Enable IMAP Client Access to Voice Messages in Applicable Classes of Service

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Step 1 In Cisco Unity Connection Administration, expand Class of Service, then click Class of Service.

Step 2 On the Search Class of Service page, in the Search Results table, click the display name of the applicable class of service.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note If the class of service does not appear in the search results table, set the applicable parameters in the search fields at the top of the page, and click Find.

Step 3 On the Edit Class of Service page, under **Licensed Features**, check the Allow Users to Access Voice Mail Using an IMAP Client check box.

Step 4 Choose one of the following options:

Allow Users to Access Message Bodies?Users have access to the entire voice mail.

Allow Users to Access Message Bodies Except on Private Messages?Users have access to the entire voice mail, unless the message is marked private, in which case they will have access only to the message header.

Allow Users to Access Message Headers Only?Users have access only to message headers.

Step 5 Click Save.

From this connection doc;

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6509/products_administration_guide_chapter09186a008055703f.html#wp1043942

Thanks for all your great help!

Rob

First, you should be having this chat with your account team, the forum is not really your licensing questions kinda place.

Next, I think folks are confused as to what was meant by SMTP notification. This is NOT sending voicemail messages to remote systems or allowing you access to our message store via an IMAP client. That is, indeed, a licensed feature.

SMTP notification is just a notification when a message arrives that matches criteria you st up (message type, schedule, urgency...). This is not a mechansim to setup access to voice messages from other systems using Connection as a gateway or the like.

If you wish to use IMAP to get at Connection voice mail messages from off box you must pay a license for that. This is not free. If all you want to do is get an email notification via SMTP that a message has arrived for you, this does not require a license.

The SMTP notification is not setup to incude the actual message as part of the "notfication" - it's not a forwarding mechansim.

Thanks for the clarification Jeff

Cisco may want to think about setting up a licensing forum as its extremely hard to find information on different licensing.

If I Search CCO for Unity connection licensing nothing relevant comes back.

http://cisco.com/pcgi-bin/search/search.pl?searchPhrase=unity+connection+licensing&nv=Search+All+cisco.com%23%23cisco.com&language=en&country=US&accessLevel=Guest&tabIndexControler=&x=0&y=0

I spent hours on CCO before I found a PDF on a link from the steps to success site that explained the UC licening see attached.

Also look at a typical BOM below if you search for a product code on CCO for an explanation of what it provides you get nothing back 0 zilch. Why so many types of support are required i dont know surely Cisco could have just 1 sw support part number that covers you.

16-24 port one needs support contract then 24-48 yep another support contract its crazy and complex.

UNITYCN-1

UNITYCN-1 Unity Connection 1.x Software

CON-SAS-UNICN-1 SW APP SUPP Unity Connection 1.x Software(Service)

UNITYCN1-SYSDISK Windows 2003 OS for use with Unity Connection only

UNITYCN-K9-300USR Unity Connection, 300 users, 16 ports, 1 TTS

CON-SAS-UC300USR SW APP SUPP Unity Connection, 300 User 16Pt 1 TTS(Service)

UNITYCN1-16TO24PT Unity Connection 16 to 24 additional port license

CON-SAS-UC16-24P SW APP SUPP Unity Conn 16 to 24 Additional Pt Lic(Service)

UNITYCN1-24TO48PT Unity Connection 24 to 48 additional port license

CON-SAS-UC24-48P SW APP SUPP Unity Conn 24 to 48 Additional Pt Lic(Service)

UNITYCN1-VM-USR One Unity Connectoin VM User

CON-SAS-UC1VMUSR SW APP SUPP One Unity Conn VM User(Service)

UNITYCN1-CL-USR One IMAP Client Access user license

CON-SAS-UC1CLUSR SW APP SUPP One IMAP Client Access User Lic(Service)

UNITYCN1-INBOX-USR One Unity Inbox user license (reqd for each Inbox usr)

CON-SAS-UCINBOXU SW APP SUPP 1 Unity Inbox User Lic(Service)

Hey Alan.

No argument on the complexity of the part numbers and such - we're mostly just engineering folks out here trying to answer technical questions and have no more insight into the part number and ordering details than anyone else (I make a practice of never going anywhere near such questions since I'm completely ignorant of the details myself).

The standard answer is the account teams are the respository this type of information - but if some of them wanted to monitor a forum for such questions, I have to think that would be a good thing.

Hi Jeff,

Yes, this type of question should probably be directed elsewhere, my BAD! Thanks for taking the time to set this straight, I think I understand now.

Thanks again and keep up the good work!

Rob

Well quick update. I can successfully email my personal company email, however, the local user email addresses are not reachable.

User at ext 3332 does not received the email notification when callers leave a message. However, if I change the destination email address to my personal emaail account outside their domain connection I get the message. I think this is an exchange/Unity Connections SMTP issue.

Armando

I just wanted to give you guys an update

i got it working by following the included link and configured the Smart Host configuration in the IIS advanced settings.

Hth

To Configure the Cisco Unity Connection Server to Relay Messages to a Smart Host

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/products/ps6509/products_administration_guide_chapter09186a0080557fde.html#wp1042694

Armando

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: