Warning message

• Cisco Support Forums is in Read Only mode while the site is being migrated.
  • Cisco Support Forums is in Read Only mode while the site is being migrated.

Kiwi syslog

Answered Question

Hello,

I have the following configured on my router but nothing display in my kiwi syslog. I'm new to this so please help. Thanks

logging buffered 4096 debugging

logging console informational

logging monitor informational

logging facility local3

logging source-interface FastEthernet0/0

logging 10.17.84.51

Correct Answer by Joe Clarke about 10 years 8 months ago

These types of events do not generate syslog messages. A config change, on the other hand, does generate a message. If you need a comprehensive list of available syslog messages, you can use the system error messages guide for your release of IOS. For example, for IOS 12.4, see http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/software/ios124/124sup/124sms/index.htm .

If you define ACLs, and configure them for logging, you can get syslog messages for traffic that matches. However, this can be burdensome to the device if a lot of traffic is passing through it.

Overall Rating: 4.8 (3 ratings)
nhabib Thu, 12/14/2006 - 11:59
User Badges:
  • Red, 2250 points or more

Check on your Kiwi syslog server to make sure it is listening on local3

The default setting on Cisco devices is local7

Joe Clarke Thu, 12/14/2006 - 13:44
User Badges:
  • Cisco Employee,
  • Hall of Fame,

Founding Member

What do you want it to log? What events are occurring on your device that you think should be logged, but are not being logged?

Correct Answer
Joe Clarke Thu, 12/14/2006 - 14:05
User Badges:
  • Cisco Employee,
  • Hall of Fame,

Founding Member

These types of events do not generate syslog messages. A config change, on the other hand, does generate a message. If you need a comprehensive list of available syslog messages, you can use the system error messages guide for your release of IOS. For example, for IOS 12.4, see http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/software/ios124/124sup/124sms/index.htm .

If you define ACLs, and configure them for logging, you can get syslog messages for traffic that matches. However, this can be burdensome to the device if a lot of traffic is passing through it.

Actions

This Discussion