cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

EIGRP: Configuring non-adjacent networks on interface

bbravo
Level 1
Level 1

Is this considered best practice? I want the rest of the network to know about networks from a partner router which will not participate on my EIGRP domain and is connected to my router A should I configure statics on my core pointing to my router A or can I just configure these partner networks under my EIGRP configuration even thou they are not directly connected?

2 Replies 2

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Borman

I am not sure that I entirely understand your question. I believe that you are saying that your routerA is connected to a router belonging to a partner. I believe you are saying that the partner will not participate in your EIGRP routing. I believe you are asking if you could just put network statements into your EIGRP for the partner networks and advertise them. If that is what you are asking then the answer is that it will not work.

The function of the network statement in EIGRP is not to advertise networks but is to help EIGRP figure which interfaces it should include into the protocol. Once EIGRP has included the interface into the protocol then EIGRP will advertise that subnet. A network statement in EIGRP for a network that is not connected on that router does no good at all.

What you should do is like your other suggestion. You should configure static routes for the partner routes and you should redistribute static into EIGRP (remember to specify a default metric when you redistribute into EIGRP). When you redistribute static into EIGRP then you will advertise the partner routes to your other EIGRP peers.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

amit-singh
Level 8
Level 8

Hi,

You have to configure static routes on your core router and then redistribute the routes in the EIGRP.You have to make sure that your Router should also have the routes for the core router subnets to return the traffic back.

When you configure the network command under the EIGRP process, it enables the EIGRP on those interface which falls under the network range.If you configure the non-adjacent networks under the EIGRP process this will not be of any use. Because you are not telling your core router or other adjacent routers on How to reach the router A subnet.How the core router will know to reach the Router A's subnet. in this case you again have to configure static routes or enable EIGRP on router A.

HTH,

-amit singh

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card