cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

User Tracking has stopped working (LMS 2.5)

moazzam.ali2
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have been noticing recently that the MAC addresses in the UT table are not updated. Today I ran the UT Acquisition from Campus Manager manually and then looked for my PCs MAC address in UT table. My PCs MAC was there but "Last Seen was July 2006", which I think it should show as of today.

I have restarted dmgtd but it did not work.

I have enabled vmpsadmin under Campus Data Collection and checked the log and below is the line corresponding to my PC MAC address:

2006/12/19 11:15:48 VMPSMajor ani VmpsAdminSMFGenerateTable: add: xx-xx-xx-xx-xx-xx 192.168.x.x 4/43 x2 VLAN00xx

Please advise what can I do to make UT Acquisition working again.

Here are some lines from ut.log file:

2006/12/19 11:48:56 main Debug enabled for package com.cisco.nm.ani.server.vmpsadmin

2006/12/19 11:48:56 main Trace enabled for package com.cisco.nm.ani.server.vmpsadmin

2006/12/19 11:48:56 main Trace enabled for package com.cisco.nm.ani.server.vmpsadmin

messages will remian logged to file: x:\apps\cworks\log\ut.log

2006/12/19 11:48:56 main ani MESSAGE ProcessInitializer: Properties will be read from x:\apps\cworks\campus\etc\cwsi\ANIServer.properties

I= 0value *.*.*.*

I= 1value 6

I= 2value 1

2006/12/19 11:48:57 main ani ERROR PeriodicSchedule: bad periodic schedule syntax:

2006/12/19 11:48:57 main ani ERROR AniTimeBase: Failed to createSchedule for timebase PollDevicesAndLinks because com.cisco.nm.ani.server.frontend.AniCPSyntaxException: AniCPSyntaxException: bad periodic schedule syntax:

2006/12/19 11:48:57 main ani AniTimeBase: Failed to createSchedule for timebase PollDevicesAndLinks

com.cisco.nm.ani.server.frontend.AniCPSyntaxException: AniCPSyntaxException: bad periodic schedule syntax:

at com.cisco.nm.ani.server.frontend.PeriodicSchedule.evaluate(PeriodicSchedule.java:75)

at com.cisco.nm.ani.server.frontend.AniTimeBase.createSchedule(AniTimeBase.java:117)

at com.cisco.nm.ani.server.frontend.AniTimeBase.<init>(AniTimeBase.java:47)

at com.cisco.nm.ani.server.frontend.AniTimeBase.loadTimeBases(AniTimeBase.java:64)

at com.cisco.nm.ani.server.frontend.AniLoadConfiguration.initialize(AniLoadConfiguration.java:370)

at com.cisco.nm.ani.server.framework.ProcessInitializer.initializeSettings(ProcessInitializer.java:82)

at com.cisco.nm.ani.server.vmpsadmin.UTMajorDiscovery.startUp(UTMajorDiscovery.java:87)

at com.cisco.nm.ani.server.vmpsadmin.UTMajorDiscovery.main(UTMajorDiscovery.java:37)

2006/12/19 11:48:58 main ani MESSAGE DBConnection: Created new Database connection [hashCode = 531758]

2006/12/19 11:49:02 main ani UTMajorDiscovery: Starting the message to serverstarted

2006/12/19 11:49:02 main ani UTMajorDiscovery: sending object to ciscoworks

2006/12/19 11:49:02 main ani UTMajorDiscovery: Count is :3 and Status:true

PartialOrderNode tree dump: time base = VMPSMajor

Time base VMPSMajor has 4 major nodes and 3 minor traversals.

In classlist loader

2006/12/19 11:49:03 main ani ERROR Transaction: addThread: Thread main is already associated with another transaction

In classlist loader processing sub classes

updation done

In classlist loader completed

2006/12/19 11:49:03 main ani ERROR Transaction: addThread: Thread main is already associated with another transaction

2006/12/19 11:49:03 main ani ERROR Transaction: removeThread: Thread main is not associated with the transaction from which it is being removed

thanks,

Ali

5 Replies 5

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

First, your ANIServer.properties is slightly corrupt. You have a bad configuration for TimeBase.PollDevicesAndLinks. While this is most likely not causing your problem, it should be fixed.

Second, given just these snippets, it's impossible to know why your last seen is not being updated. However, if that is the only entry for your MAC address in the log, then the switch to which it's connected may not properly be data collected by ANI.

Look through the log for the switch's IP address, and see if there are any problems polling that switch's bridge table.

Here is the line related to the switch to which my PC is connected. It does show a Warning:

2006/12/19 11:03:20 main ani WARNING C5KVlanPort: computing active vlans for Port(1/1, 227, 1, ethernetCsmacd, full-duplex, ok ) on device container(Device,192.168.x.x hostname: xxxxxxx)

Also if possible, please also advise how can i fix the configuration for TimeBase.PollDevicesAndLinks

thanks,

Ali

This warning is a non-starter. It is harmless. If there are no other messages related to your switch, it may not be properly data collected. But again, there is not enough information here to know for certain what the problem is.

As for your properties file, you will need to set the PollDevicesAndLinks properties to values similar to the following:

TimeBase.PollDevicesAndLinks.Type=Periodic

TimeBase.PollDevicesAndLinks.Schedule=7200

TimeBase.PollDevicesAndLinks.ThreadPool=polling

TimeBaseImpl.PollDevicesAndLinks=com.cisco.nm.ani.server.status.StatusPollTimeBaseImpl

Thanks for your reply.. I am not sure how and where to change these properties and some guidance will be appreciated.

Also please advise where should I look for resolving the UT acquisition issue. Does un-install and then re-install of ONLY Campus Manager a good idea?

thanks,

Ali

Shutdown dmgtd, and edit NMSROOT/campus/etc/cwsi/ANIServer.properties. You should see some existing TimeBase.PollDevicesAndLinks links. Replace them with the values I gave you.

The log is still your best course at resolving this problem. Since there is sensitive information in there, you might consider opening a TAC Service Request so that they can get access to the full log, and do more in-depth analysis.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: