cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

transferring ios image from 6500A to 6500B

ogadri
Level 1
Level 1

I have to transfer (copy) an ios image from Cisco 6500 A to 6500 B. 6500 B hasn't is empty, no ios on board.

I'd like to know what procedure follow step by step in order to transfer the ios file from A to B using a PC that has both consolle cable and network connection

5 Replies 5

ankbhasi
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Friend,

As you mentioned "6500 B hasn't is empty, no ios on board" Can you please confirm if it has no image then by whch image it's been booted from? Is it currently in rommon mode?

Confirm the status of switch B and will post you with a probable solution.

Regards,

Ankur

Hi Ankur,

you are right.

In effect 6500 B is in the state as when you turn it on the first time ...I hope it can be useful.

thanks a lot

Simone

Hi Simone,

When you turn it on for the first time it will definetely has some image onboard and that image will be a CATOS where only setbase command works. Can you check with "dir bootflash:"

Also can you paste me the output of "sh version" if possible from 6509 A & 6509B.

Also if it is running CATOS can you confirm which mode CAT6509 A is running?

Ankur

I'm going to provide you the show ver about 6500 in few days, now i'm not near the devices.

Another thing i have to solve is the same scenario but with 3560 IOS EMI (3560 A is running 3560 B is just turned on). This last is more urgent than 6500. Is it easy with this info for you to solve my problem?

Thanks a lot,

simone

Hi Simone,

Yes for 3560 both runs IOS images so what you can do is copy the image from one 3560 on your tftp server and then copy back the same image from tftp server to another 3560 switch.

Now first you have to download a tftp server on your machine and get the machine connectivity to your first 3560 switch and then tun this command

copy flash: tftp://ip address of machine/imagename

and doing this image will be tranferred from your first 3560 switch on your machine where you have tftp server.

Noe because you have a new 3560 switch it will not be hvaing any ip adress so console into the 3560 switch and assign one ip adress on interface vlan 1 and once done connect the same mcahine on which you have tftp server back to new switch and run the command

copy tftp://ip address of machine/imagename flash:

and this will transfer the image from your tftp server back to the new switch flash and once done set the boot path on new switch with the new image name

boot system flash

wr mem

reload

and your new switch will boot with the same image which you have on your existing 3560 switch.

HTH

Ankur

*Pls rate helpfull post

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: