Views
Helpful
Replies

Multiple Vlans and DHCP..

phipps_1t
Level 1
Level 1

Good Afternoon All.

I have several remote sites connected back to the main office via IPSEC VPN (netscreen) At some of these remote sites we have a Cisco 1130AG deployed for ethernet connectivity. A netscreen is put into DHCP-relay mode and points back to a central Win2k3 DHCP server at the main office to provide IP's for staff. Now, i want to introduce a guest-vlan on the AP with a different scope -- how can i accomplish this ?

i wanted to create a separate dhcp-pool for the guest ssid/vlan on the autonomous AP (no controller network) and configure the port on the switch it connects to as a trunk-port(3com switch) And make everything local.

I still want staff to receive IP's from the DHCP server at the main office.

any insight on the commands or principles would be very helpful.

Thanks,

2 Replies 2

Stephen Rodriguez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Harry,

This can be done, and is fairly simple. What you need to do is, on the Subnets gateway, point that interface to the AP using the ip helper-address command. This tells the gateway to encapsulate the broadcast DHCP request and points it at the correct DHCP server. The AP will reply with address from the configured scope.

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

Steprodr.

If i wanted to use one central DHCP server, can this still be done ?

In my setup, the netscreen is acting as a DHCP-relay and can't act as a DHCP server. In other words, it's exclusively a dhcp relay-agent to get IP's from the scope defined on the central DHCP server.

i'm kinda fuzzy on your response..to clear up the proposed deployment, lets say i wanted to use one DHCP server only which is located at the central office --- how could i do this ?

Thanks

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card