cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

GRE over IPSEC

saimbt
Level 1
Level 1

We are running GRE over IPSEC between location A and B. It has been observed that after some time the tunnels go in a hang state and the traffic does not pass through these tunnels.

It has been observed that the tunnels at this time are shown up. After rebooting the router; tunnels come out of a hang state and traffic continues to flow. Reinitialization of tunnel is of no help.

The routers in question is Cisco 3825 with location A c3825-advsecurityk9-mz.124-3e.bin IOS and location B c3825-advsecurityk9-mz.124-3d.bin

3 Replies 3

lxcollin1
Level 1
Level 1

You can try setting a keepalive on the tunnel interface. I have seen a similar problem on VTI interfaces.

srdjanluzajic
Level 1
Level 1

It sounds like a problem we had on several VPN tunnels. The solution for us was to add

ip mtu 1400

ip tcp adjust-mss 1360

to the tunnel interface.

Danilo Dy
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I never experienced this with my configuration which I use internet as primary link using IP GRE over IPSEC and MPLS as backup link using IP GRE over IPSEC.

The important configuration for IP GRE interface are;

ip mtu 1500 << don't make this lower than 1500 else you will have DF problem.

keepalive 5 4 << this is important in floating static route configuration.

However I do experienced a lot of problem with IPSEC alone without IP GRE.

The important things to take note in IPSEC are;

- RouterA and RouterB configurations should be symmetric.

- RouterA and RouterB should have the same IOS version up to the "letter".

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card