Views
Helpful
Replies

Newbie: Cisco 851w and nat

glykon
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I am a network administrator and recently decided to upgrade my existing network infrastucture at my small office by purchasing a

Cisco 851w router.

I have 14 computers that need internet connection sharing and an Ubuntu 6.06 box running e-mail services, web and dns hosting for

my domain (master zone, running bind9).

Using SDM express I configured the network in 15 minutes, and also NAT for the Linux server. Everything is fine, except one

thing: when I access my domain (let`s say mydomain.ro) from my local network I don`t get my webpage or a response from the mail

server, but instead my SDM express login window. From an outside network I can access my mail and web page using mail.mydomain.ro

and www.mydomain.ro. Internally I get a response from the router.

This is how I configured the network with SDM express:

192.168.0.1 as my routers ip address and network address, dhcp enabled, router`s name is router and domain "domain.ro". At the

dhcp section I typed my ISP`s dns server. The linux box has the ip 192.168.0.10 and runs bind9 for the "domain.ro" as the master

server. I added the following NAT with SDM: 53 tcp and udp from WAN ip (81.xxx.xxx.xxx) to 192.168.0.10, 22 tcp, 25 tcp, 80 tcp,

etc. WAN IP is the ip from my ISP (81.xxx.xxx.xxx).

Can I fix this using SDM, and how? It`s not an option to type 192.168.0.10 as incoming mail server instead of mail.domain.ro. I don`t know how to use CLI, I bought this router just to be able to run away from my old 486 iptables machine. :D

Thanks for you time!

2 Replies 2

glykon
Level 1
Level 1

After searching the internet, I found this forum with the exact problem that I encounter: http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies-archive.cfm/646399.html Could not find a proper fix for this. :(

You are absolutly right in that you are not the only one with this problem.

Check this post and the link provided by Sundar out.

http://forum.cisco.com/eforum/servlet/NetProf;jsessionid=968333ACF23358AC6443CE3DC4C19CD9.SJ3B?page=netprof&forum=Network%20Infrastructure&topic=WAN%2C%20Routing%20and%20Switching&CommCmd=MB%3Fcmd%3Ddisplay_location%26location%3D.1ddccf83

And hopefully you will find a working solution.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card