Views
Helpful
Replies

Trunking

navneet_78
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have configured 3 VLANs on my switch. I want to configure the interfaces on the router to accomodate the trunking information i just made. There is no Etherchannel on my switch since i have a stack. switch is doing dot1q trunking

How do i do that?

Appreciate your response.

Regards

Navneet

3 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

ankbhasi
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Navneet,

I believe you are talking on inter vlan routing with router on stick model.

You need to create sub-interfaces on your router port to which your switch port is connected and then configure encapsulation under all subinterfaces.

Something like this

interface fa0/0.1

encapsulation dot1q

ip adddress

interface fa0/0.2

encapsulation dot1q

ip adddress

Now for any subinterface to support encapsulation command it is necessary that your router IOS is having a minimum of IP PLUS feature set.

HTH

Ankur

*Pls rate all helpfull post

View solution in original post

Hi Navneet,

Just to add to Ankur's Post, try configuring the " native " vlan keyword under the respective vlan sub-interface which is a native vlan on the switch. By defualt Vlan 1 is Native vlan on the cisco switch. So whenever you are configuring the sub-interface for vlan1 on your router use "Native" keyword with that.Otherwise the things will not work. For example

nterface fa0/0.1

encapsulation dot1q 1 native

ip adddress a.a.a.a c.c.c.0

Check the link posted by the first poster, that link will really help you.

HTH,Please rate if it does.

-amit singh

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

jolmo
Level 4
Level 4

Thnx for the Link Jolmo. It really helped.

Cheers

Navneet

ankbhasi
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Navneet,

I believe you are talking on inter vlan routing with router on stick model.

You need to create sub-interfaces on your router port to which your switch port is connected and then configure encapsulation under all subinterfaces.

Something like this

interface fa0/0.1

encapsulation dot1q

ip adddress

interface fa0/0.2

encapsulation dot1q

ip adddress

Now for any subinterface to support encapsulation command it is necessary that your router IOS is having a minimum of IP PLUS feature set.

HTH

Ankur

*Pls rate all helpfull post

Hi Ankur,

Thanks a Lot.I was looking for the exact answer. I knew the config when etherchannel is configured on a switch.But this basic thing confused me..:))

Thanks Buddy

Cheers

Navneet

Hi Navneet,

Just to add to Ankur's Post, try configuring the " native " vlan keyword under the respective vlan sub-interface which is a native vlan on the switch. By defualt Vlan 1 is Native vlan on the cisco switch. So whenever you are configuring the sub-interface for vlan1 on your router use "Native" keyword with that.Otherwise the things will not work. For example

nterface fa0/0.1

encapsulation dot1q 1 native

ip adddress a.a.a.a c.c.c.0

Check the link posted by the first poster, that link will really help you.

HTH,Please rate if it does.

-amit singh

Yes i got the point.

Thnx Amit

Navneet

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card